News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

New frame

Started by Alex L., 2013-01-10 21:09

Previous topic - Next topic

Alex L.

I was wondering about new frames. My frame is not perfect but it's not totally rotten either. But I am building an engine and tranny combo which should be good for 700-800 hp, which might expose any weak spots in the frame.

I saw some pictures in the gallery of someone with a totally new frame under their 57 and was wondering about it. Is this a homemade peice or something bought?

Any insight or thoughts on the matter are welcome.

gasman826

An original frame will twist like a pretzel.  Look at a convertable frame for inspiration.  The OEM frame is two stamped C channels welded together to make a boxed frame.  The welds are intermittent to allow for flex and ride quality.  Clean the frame, clamp it down to a frame table (or something like it) for measurements and to avoid warpage and weld it continuously from end to end top and bottom.  Fab a beefier cross member/ driveshaft hoop and another member in front of the rear end.  Generic mid frame support kits are available.  Look at an Art Morrison frame for ideas. 
I would share pictures but PhotoBucket blew up!

SkylinerRon

Any car w/700+ hp needs a full rollcage!  That will stiffen it up enough.
It costs more to build a car to handle 700 than it does to build the motor.
Goodluck,

Ron.