News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Bought a new motor

Started by sprink88, 2013-01-13 11:28

Previous topic - Next topic

sprink88

I know I was going to go with a 351. Already bought the engine. But then I found this gem off statewidelist.com looking at surrounding states. The engine is suppose to be rebuilt, will look into that before I install it. But it came from a 1958 2 door car in Texas, then moved to Utah to the new owner, then the car somehow found it's way to South Dakota to it's current owner. The motor I think was rebuilt in Utah, and the current owner drove it about 20 miles in So Dak. Came with the transmission too for $700. Worth the 4.5 hour drive each direction I think. I want to go old school and get a 3X2 setup with lake pipes and dummy spots. Now I need to sell my 351 block and parts. hehe
~Chris

F570RD

Glad to see your stick'n with a ...You'll love it!

sprink88

I know. I am also not going for a go fast car either. I now there is performance out there, but I don't need much
~Chris

57 Ford Kustom

sprink,
   Nice looking engine! There are sometimes I wish that I had left the Y Block in mine. I have to much into the 351w to scrap it though. Don't kid yourself, that Y Block has some Balls! I have my Dad's engine under the bench (with a 3-2 setup) waiting to be rebuilt. One of these long winters, who knows, I might get a hair across my a** and put it back in!
Thanks,
Tim :unitedstates:
aka:Bluedot Kid 2
To fast to live, to young to die.

sprink88

Thanks Tim. I know performance Y block parts are spendy though. Unless you know of a reasonable place? Hint-hint. lol
~Chris

57 Ford Kustom

Sprink,
   My Dad had a couple of 3-2 set ups, But he sold them before he passed away. All I have is the one left (sorry).
Thanks,

sprink88

They are out there. Saw one in Iowa with 3 teapots for $225. Should have bought it. Carbs needed rebuilding, but it was worth every penny. Including another 4 hour drive to just get it!
~Chris

petew

Great choice to keep the Y block , they sound so great and have become such a rarity .
I now have three cars with Y blocks in them and find that although speed parts are expensive everything is reasonable and available.

Pete

57 Ford Kustom

Sprink,
   Look at it this way, you would spend $500-600.00 on a carb and intake for the 351w.

Ecode70D

Good for you!   That's great to be putting a Y block in your car. That one even has the wide spread manifold on it.  I hope that everything works out well.  It is a great  find.

sprink88

Oh I know. The 3X2 will come later. The guy gave me the 4bbl that he just got rebuilt. Not installed yet either. So I am more than happy to run that too
~Chris

Mark

My 292 and Ford o matic are out for a rebuild this winter, I'm keeping mine with what came with it. It's a nice car not a race car, I raced over 10 years and know how things get torn up and don't feel I need beat on such a nice OLD car. Good Choice!!!

lowrider

Good choice with sticking with the Yblock. Then again I'm prejudice. Currently building a 292 with Jahns domed pistons, Comp cam, ported G heads & have a choice of a 4v or 3x2. If you chose to you could sell that 4v manifold to defray the cost of a 3x2 setup. Any numbers on the block or heads? For the best information go to www.yblocksforever.com. A lot of old geezers like me on there more than willing to help. Check out John Mummerts Ford-y-block.com site & visit his yblock candy store. Plenty of information there also.

57 Ford Kustom

Guys,
   The more you talk the more I wish I kept my Y Block (sorry Dad)in the car! LOL :deadhorse:

sprink88

Lowrider.  Yes I am on those sites as well.  I was going to look at the head numbers when I get home from work today.  Kind of hoping for the nicer ones.  Lol. And mummert is a great site to dream. 

Sorry Tim. But like you said, you still have the engine. And may rebuild it someday.

Also guys, is the only automatic choice for me the fordo?  Seems only old timers Trans shops will even touch them now. And those guys are getting harder to find
~Chris