News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

I got it!!!

Started by RICH MUISE, 2013-01-22 15:00

Previous topic - Next topic

CableguyJJS3

No problems, glad to help. I've got 3 57's to build and virtually no experience with them. I have a ton of 4.6 knowledge and experience, plus connections to some of the top guys in that field. I'm glad to trade my 4.6 knowledge for help with my 57's. Like I said, and questions, let me know.
Ban low performance driver's, not high performance cars.

RICH MUISE

3 '57's...cool. What ya got?, and what are your plans. This is the right place for help with them. we've got a bunch of willing and able, knowledgable '57 guys here to answer your questions...I'd be lost without them.
Rich
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

Ford Blue blood

Rich looked for the thread that had these pictures but could not find it, looked on the HAMB as well...no luck...so I'll post them for you to look at and to assure you the 4.6 will fit.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

Ford Blue blood

The rest
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

Re$urrected57

Congrats Rich glad to see you got it.  I think you got a heck of a deal on the price.  I bet you can't wait to get it home and start tear down.

57dohc

Rich,
If you haven't located a continental oil pan, I would start looking.  I did find one of these quite quickly but it did not include the oil pickup which is needed for this change.  The pickup is no longer offered through ford parts and I have yet to find one thru dealers or junk yards.  There have got to be a lot of these in junk yards but the engines may have to be removed to get at the pan.  At least the Mustang is that way as the K member wouldn"t allow you to remove the pan.
I did try setting my engine in the 57 with rear sump pan since I had removed all the steering linkage.  Still would not clear the cross member and slide under firewall.  I guess I can at least install the new pan temporarily and get the engine fitted and wait for the oil tube.  If anyone out there knows where I might find one, Please help!
When you get ready to remove that drive train, take it out from the bottom.  A few extra things to disconnect, but much more manageable.  I lowered the the cars k member on three wheel dollies (the kind you put under the cars tires to roll around the garage) ,disconnected the 8 k member bolts and raised the front of the car with the cherry picker hoist.   You can easily raise it enough to clear the engine.  Block the car up, remove the hoist and simply slide the whole unit  out the front.  It really rolls easily and makes a convenient place to store the drivetrain until you want to work on it further.

RICH MUISE

Wow....gettin' tons of input here. GGRRRREEEEEAAAAATTTT!!!
Bill thanks for posting those pics. Was particularly interested to see the one clearing the steering box....should be tons more room there with just my rack joints to contend with. It was also nice to see the Markviii fan assembly fitting in there, and looking like it was done with the mark viii behind the core support.awesome. When I saw the second set of pics you posted, I got to thinking these pics are from Canadian Ranchero when he was using and old scrapped car for mock-up before he put it in the Ranchero?? Wonder what happened to him...
Resurected..Thanks. I was watching the auctions quite a bit while I was waiting for this one to come up and were seeing similar vehicles generally going for less, so I kinda got my hopes up I'd get by real cheap. Given the fact that the car was low mileage,in such good shape and basically could be a driver again easily, brought it up higher...I'm just grateful it stopped there. I am anxious to get it home..not too anxious to tear it apart. I'll wait for warmer weather as this has to be done outside. Besides, I'm planning on a few trips around the neighborhood when I get it home.LOL
DOHC57..interesting info on the K member in yours...is the Lincoln set up that way? It would be nice if it was. I watched a guy not too long ago pull a clip off a chrysler product that way. Had never seen it done before. I was amazed.
I've located 2 '95 continentals in the u-pull-it yard here in town. Waiting for weather on that also. I believe I read in a post by someone on this forumn the pan and pick-up was an easy pull from the continental. I'm also planning on pulling the computers and engine control modulesfrom several 93-95 marks at the same yard. Won't hurt to have spares of those..I can see that being a problem years down the road.
Thanks guys

RICH MUISE

forgot to mention..If those pics were Canadian Ranchero, those exhaust manifolds are probably the Mustang Cobra. The other member doing that post with Gary/Canadian R. was Bob Claiborn, and a few months ago he still had all his install pics on his photobucket (or other) website page.

On those continentals I found at the local yard...they won't pull parts for ya. The Continentals are way in the back, and you can't drive into the yard, which means all tools, jacks, etc have to be carried in. I'm old..not looking forward to that. Was hoping to find some one ebay with the pick-up tube, but so far only have found the pans. Btw,Dorman makes new pans for the marks and towncars..haven't checked to see if they make them for the continentals..but no matter if I don't have the pick-up tube. It's time for the LONG nap.
Rich

Zapato

Rich, use a wheelbarrow to haul your tools and parts around the junkyard.
Zapato

Cruise low and slow.......Nam class of '72

RICH MUISE

At christmas time somewhere I saw a fold-up heavy duty wagon..red ryder type. I thought that would be just perfect for swap meets n' all. Being Christmas time, I didn't have the spare money(I 'll use Christmas as the excuse, but I never seem to have spare money) so I let it pass..now if I can only remember where I saw it. Sam's club maybe??
Anyway....This thread should have been titled "I bought it"..cause today "I got it". My buddy's cousin never brought the trailer back that he was going to let me use, so I rented one out of a local independent that doesn't have all the BS UHaul has...they never even asked what I was towing. Already took it for a few spins around the block. The old Jeep didn't like pulling that weight, but it got us home. When I got home I noticed the back of the Jeep was a few inches lower than when I left Lubbock..may have broken a shock or two..that's ok if it's the worst of it..they were shot anyways.

57dohc

Rich,
Just got back from the U Pull It yard where they had a 95 Continental.  Good news!  That pan is a very easy pull; took me only about 15 minutes and only had to use a universal socket twice.  Other than that, the pan is completely open under there and the pickup tube is easily removed as well.  The cars in this yard are already up off the ground about 3 feet and makes getting underneath an easy task.  I was just going to get the pickup tube as I already have an oil pan but the checkout guy said "that was part of the pan" and the price would be the same for one or both.  Since the cost was only $24, I ended up with an extra oil pan.  If some needs one this could be cheap!

RICH MUISE

Good score...now if you only had an  extra pick-up with that extrapan...
Did you check out the oil pump, or do you think the rear sump pump will work?
Don't know if you saw it, but I had asked in reply to your previous post if you knew if the mark 8 had a k member setup to drop the drivetrain from the bottom.
Never mind..googled it..it does. Cool. It can also be removed from top with oil pan removel end a few other things..Going from the top , I would think, means the front suspension can be left intact for moving (or removing) the car.

Zapato

there's definitely a shortage of those pickup tubes, would love to fid one myself. may have to modify one.

Zap- :unitedstates:
Zapato

Cruise low and slow.......Nam class of '72

57dohc

Rich,
I haven't removed the Mustang pan yet to check on the oil pump.  From everything I have read, i assumed they are the same . with just a different pickup.  I should know this soon.
One of the reasons I removed the engine from the bottom was that I really didn't like any of the lifting points on these engines.  Some recommend the threaded hole on the back of the right side head to the threaded hole on the front of the left  head.  That sounds pretty unbalanced and a guy on a ford site says you can twist the block this way.  Claims to work at a Ford dealership and "sees it all the time." Once I had the cradle out( and could actually see what I was doing),  I attached towing straps around each motor mount  to a point over the engine where I could attach the hoist.   The straps do contact the exhaust manifolds and I protected the cam covers with a towel wrapped 2x4.  This seems well balanced with transmission on the engine but will probably get in the way when trying to actually fit the engine in the 57.  If someone on this site has a better suggestion, I sure will listen to them! Al

RICH MUISE

Trying to decide whether or not to spend the 40 bucks for a carfax report on the Mark viii. It would be interesting to know about my baby's heart donor. One interesting thing..I was looking for anything on the car that would indicate anything about previous owners..some scrap of paper with a name on it, etc. Zilch!Nada! Then I noticed a clear sticker on the windshield for an oil change...here in Amarillo!! I'm going to take a pic of the car and go there to see if anyone recognizes the car, and knows who owned it. Their records will probably be by license plate, which is no longer on the car, but I'll bring the vin just in case. Maybe the local Lincoln Mercury dealer.