News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

I got it!!!

Started by RICH MUISE, 2013-01-22 15:00

Previous topic - Next topic

gasman826

Got one once.  What's forty bucks when you are buying a $40,000.00 used vehicle.  For your research, I don't think you will get your moneys worth.  I think people put too much faith in CarFax.  If the report is clear, that does not necessarily mean the vehicle is clean.

RICH MUISE

Is there any way of finding out who the previous owners of any particular vehicle might be?
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

Ford Blue blood

WHY?  Pull a valve cover or anything that opens the engine up....you'l know looking at the top of the heads.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

RICH MUISE

Just hosed off all the sand that had accumulated on it and took a few pics..also realized the pics I posted at the beginning of this thread were thumnails...cant see much. Check out this interior..one reason I'm gonna have a hard time turning it into a parts car.
There's another Mark coming up at auction with only 34K miles, and light front end damage...hmmmm. It's in Florida though..about 1400. shipping

JPotter57

Cut it up..it's for the greater good..besides, it's just a late model....;)
1957 Ford Custom 427 2x4 4 spd
Old, loud, and fast.

57dohc

Sounds like you are going to corner the market on mkV111!  Once you get started, its hard to get stopped.
Backing up a few posts, I did want to let you know that the Continental oil pickup and pan will bolt up to your new engine.  Well, sort of.  The brace that was attached to the tube via a main bearing web has nothing to bolt to on the Mach engine.  I also had to eliminate all the neat oil scrapers attached the rear half of the engine.  They covered the crankshaft bolting on studs extended from Main bearing caps.  No room for them under the shallow end of the new pan and probably would serve no purpose now.  I can use one of the studs to rig an extension to
the existing brace.  Yours may be different, but at least the attachment to the oil pump is the same.
When I was putting the "old" oil pan away, I just happened to notice some small plastic pieces in the bottom of the pan.  This means only one thing; a chain tensioner or guide is coming apart.  These are apparently metal parts with plastic surfaces.  Checking on the internet forumns, I hear this is a common problem.  Sounds like they are relatively easily to replace but it does require removing the front cover.  Really didn't want to start tearing this engine apart! Hopefully, you won't have this issue but yet another thing to look out for on these "new" engines.

RICH MUISE

Thanks for the input Al. BTW, the Tri-state swap meet is in a couple of weeks. Not sure if I'll make it or not..will know better after my wife decides when she wants to go to Phoenix...beside I blew all the car money she gave me for B'day and Christmas on the Mark.
I was at the pull it yard today to grab a couple spare wiper modules. Went over to where the '95 Continentals are and one of them actually won't be too bad to jack up. May load up my wheelbarrow as Zap suggested and go out tommorrow. Almost 70 here today and more of the same tommorrow.

Ecode70D

Quote from: RICH MUISE on 2013-01-27 08:59
    I'm going to take a pic of the car and go there to see if anyone recognizes the car, and knows who owned it. Their records will probably be by license plate, which is no longer on the car, but I'll bring the vin just in case. Maybe the local Lincoln Mercury dealer.
Rich  This is a long story, but I'll skip the details and make it shorter.  I'm thankful that I was not involved in this one.  I know the people involved though.   Person #A bought a car from a dealership. #A sold the car to #B. It kept getting sold to more and more people.  One day, #A got a phone call from last buyer.   We will call him  #G.   #A asked #G "How did you find me?   #G "stated that he got the information from the dealership where you bought it."
     #A sued the dealership and got a new car as a settlement.
      That information is classified and don't be surprised if you run into dead ends.   Not even a repair shop can give you the information on owners or previous owners.
        Oh by the way this story is about a used car, but the dealership paid off with a new car just to make the guy go away.
        You will probably get more information by following the advice of Ford Blue Blood and Gary.     

RICH MUISE

Yeah...I wasn't really expecting them to give me their name. What I was hoping for at best was for the dealer or oil change shop to contact the previous owner and give them my number, with a hope they'd call. Kinda forgot about it for now. I just thought it would be interesting for the records.
Thanks Jay.

Frankenstein57

I'd take it down the road, put the pedal to the wood, should tell you what you need to know.

RICH MUISE

Just an update on this auctioning thing if anyone is interested. Everything has been finalized. I got my salvage title delivered fedex Monday. The final tab with all the auction house fees, and brokerage house fees: 1,000,bid,230. auction house,195 broker fees incl title handling,=1425.
The auction fees are based on selling price with a cap of about 400. The broker fees are fixed per unit regarless of purchase price. Everything went smooth from first day to last with both auction house and broker.
The other Mark I had mentioned, with only 39K on it, sold for 375. last week! If it wasn't on the east coast, I would have bought it too.