News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Some small temporary changes in plans.....

Started by JPotter57, 2013-01-27 19:12

Previous topic - Next topic

JPotter57

I know I have been preaching the Y block message here for some time, and I am not giving up on it.  However, my 312 is in the machine shop, it needs some expensive parts, and Hot Rod Power Tour is coming up in 5 months.  My 351C 4V is brand new, ready to go.  All I need to run it is to put it in.  So, out comes the 292, and for the time being at least, in goes the 351C and 5 speed.  Hopefully, when I can get all my parts together, pistons, rods, etc, plus all the supercharger brackets, I can get my 312 back in.  Again, there is a however.  I plan on racing this thing, and if it runs a good number, I may be finding another `57 to put my 312 in, possibly a Thunderbird.  I just am running out of time, and do not want to come up on May 30 when I will be preparing to leave for Dallas for the start of the Power Tour, and not have driven the Y block more than a block or two.  Hopefully, when I get this 351C fired, I can start breaking it in right away, at least around here.  Of course, once you start going fast, it's hard to put a slower motor in, but for now, I really want to concentrate on the bodywork and paint, and get this thing at least 20 feet presentable for the Tour..

So, here we go...

As soon as it is running, I will post some video here.  Stay tuned.
1957 Ford Custom 427 2x4 4 spd
Old, loud, and fast.

Ford Blue blood

James all those option can really get a guy tightened up...relax..the power tour will be there tomorrow!  The 351 is my favorite...alone with a FMX... :003:
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

JimNolan

Quote from: JPotter57 on 2013-01-27 19:12
I know I have been preaching the Y block message here for some time, and I am not giving up on it. 
James, I liked the Y-Block Engine, still do, just not enough to put one of them in one of my cars. LOL Jim
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.

Ford Blue blood

Quote from: JimNolan on 2013-01-27 20:14
James, I liked the Y-Block Engine, still do, just not enough to put one of them in one of my cars. LOL Jim

James you do seam like a practicle sort of guy....go with the 351 until your "passion" can be realized!
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero

JPotter57

LOL, yeah..312 stuff is $$$, man.  For all the little stuff I am looking for to finish the 312, I could finish the body and paint twice on my car.   I just want to get it looking halfway decent for Power Tour, then maybe later on this year or early next year, finish my 312 and install it.  Although, like I said, I might look for a baby Bird to put my 312 in instead.  All depends on how it goes with the 351.  It should be fairly brutal, lots of cam, compression and carb..I'm hoping for around 500 or so HP, but would be happy with 450.
The main reason I wanted to put one in my car, is the style I was building my car, the 60's Jr Stocker look, or at least early Modified Production.  I have a lot of money tied up in the 312, but a lot more tied up in this 351C that I was going to use before I got all spun up in the Y-block scene.  Seriously, nobody down here runs the Y except for Glen, so there is no Y block shootout down here.  If there was, I would be more dedicated to getting it together and in the car.  I love the Y block, but I am strapped for cash trying to get the body and paint done on my car before it starts getting hot down here again.  By the time I am done with that, Power Tour time will be here, and I wont have my 312 done.  Hence the reason for putting the 351C back in.
Old, loud, and fast.

Ford Blue blood

Oh by the way, I doubt anyone here would have a problem with the 351.... :003:
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero

JPotter57

Plus, if it goes fast like I think it will, I may finally get around to tubbing the car, lol..If I do that, I will step up to a big inch motor, still streetable of course... :laughing7:
Old, loud, and fast.

Ford Blue blood

Buddy you are falling into the "go fast" pit head over heals!!
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero

JPotter57

I started the whole y block thing  to be able to race with the Y block guys, since no one was showing up at our shootout.  But no one down here runs them, and I would be the slowest car running down here.  It makes sense to use the 351, but I am torn, because a 312 sounds so good, just so friggin expensive to make run like a late model..
Old, loud, and fast.

JPotter57

Besides, I always did like the way a tubbed Custom looks...take a look at the club event logo, lol
Old, loud, and fast.

Ford Blue blood

I guess I'm tired of the "go fast" thing, did SCCA in the early 70s, (was good too, 70 Boss 302), did the drag race thing before that, figured out that breaking stuff cost too much, so having said all of that, I like my 08 Shelby GT500 that puts 502 RWHP down with the A/C and Radio blasting 50s and 60s music, don't need to "tune" anything and nothing has broken despite being road hard and wiprd down before being put away...now having said all of that...my 36 Chevy with a 351C/FMX has been the best runner I have ever built, needs rebuilt but still fires up when asked.

James put the 351 in, go on the Power Tour and have fun.  "Bucket list" items need to be started before you can't do them!
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero

Ecode70D

"My 351C 4V is brand new, ready to go."

At least the 351C is a bolt in with no major modifications.  When the 312 Y block is ready, It's no big deal to take one out and put another one in.   It's been a while since I installed a 351C.  Are the radiator outlets the same for a Y block? 
       It might be a good idea to make up two different sets of header pipes that will hook up to the same exhaust system.   That way you can change engines back and forth depending on where  you were going.
        I do realize that all these things cost big dollars though. 

Tom S

JPotter57

My 312 is in good shape, just I wanted to go ahead and bore .030 so it would last forever, pretty much.  It would go std. if I were so inclined.  Machinist said it looked great.  Since I am doing new pistons, I figured why not new rods too.  Mummert has both for about $850 or so.  Thats the thing:When trying to get all the other stuff done, it's hard to do the engine stuff too, so I will have to save a little longer for the engine stuff, since I already have a new engine.  As far as the exhaust systems, that's no biggie either.  I kept the 3 inch stuff with flowmasters off my old `57 when I sold it, so, it's just a bolt on to my new Cleveland.  I can remove it and hang it in the rafters when I swap it later, and just run new smaller stuff to the Y headers.  It's only money, just a matter of when it is spent.
Old, loud, and fast.

Tom S

Quote from: JPotter57 on 2013-01-27 20:29...take a look at the club event logo, lol
Quote from: Tom S
Emm, where is it?
You're not gonna tell me where that 'club event logo' is?