News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Almost 57s

Started by Ecode70D, 2013-01-30 13:51

Previous topic - Next topic

Ecode70D

It took me 40 plus years to find the 57 2dr. custom I was looking for.  Well in the meantime I was forced to build and drive the nearest thing that I could dig up.  These are only some of the 58s I had.
   I had to buy a 4 dr donor car for the floor, fenders and misc. parts for the 2 dr sedan.  The 6 cyl came out and was replaced with a 406 and 4 speed on the column.  Reverse was by cable under the dash.  After replacing the floor I didn't want to make a hole in it or a floor shift.
   The Ranchero  was a rust free Calif car with factory 352,  4 bbl and three on the column.   Nothing had to be done to this one.  I did rob the nice back bumper off of it though for my 57.
    The major problem with these cars were....They were not 57 Ford 2dr customs so I dumped them about 10 years ago when I found the car I have now.    .

Ecode70D

Oh by the way ...That foreign thing behind my white 58 was a customer's vehicle  that I converted from a three window to a 5 window.  It took him forever to pick it up and people were starting to think that I changed over to the other side even though there is a Ford only parking sign next to the garage door.       

57 Ford Kustom

Ecode,
   Those were some nice looking 58's, I hope you didn't suffer to much waiting for the 57'  :003:Lol! My Dad had several 55's and a couple 56's before he landed his first 57'. The two that he owned are still in the family, his Grandson has his custom 300 4dr. and of course I have his custom 300 2dr.
Tim :unitedstates:
aka:Bluedot Kid 2
To fast to live, to young to die.

wildhog

I would have put a 57 front clip on the 58 Ranchero and been very happy with it. Of course I would have used the 58 hood. I have 58 hoods on 2 of my 3 57's Tom
JUST A MIDNIGHT CRUISE DOWN THUNDER ROAD (TOM DRUMMOND MIDWEST DIRECTOR)

Ecode70D

Quote from: wildhog on 2013-01-30 14:33
I would have put a 57 front clip on the 58 Ranchero and been very happy with it. Of course I would have used the 58 hood. I have 58 hoods on 2 of my 3 57's Tom
Wildhog  I would have done that in a heartbeat, but I was just always in the wrong place at the right time and was not that lucky to find 57s for sale or were getting parted out.  I did do the 58 to 57  hood  change though for a customer.   That 58 hood scoop looks cool.   Too bad...He kept his 57 hood.   I needed one later for my 57.
Tim...I'm happy for you that you ended up with the 2dr.  It has a killer body and I really think that you appreciate it.  It makes me feel real good when someone inherits his father's car and actually uses it. .   

RICH MUISE

All good looking cars Jay...you do nice work.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

Ecode70D

Thanks Rich
         I just do the best with what I find.  The 57s always managed to get away from me and 58s kept popping up everywhere. 
          I'm never going to complain about cold again. (Well at least for a few days anyways.) There is always someone that has it worse than me.
         How does Tom do it up there in Alaska and still manage to do such nice work?.

hiball3985

Nice cars. I had one 58 for a while and really liked it. I just didn't like the dash.
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

Thor

My car is an almost 57. The car I am doing is a 58 Fairlane that my mom bought new in the fall of 1958. Once my parents married they sold the car to my grandfather who in turn gave it to me when I was 12. I drug the car back to Kansas from North Dakota behind an old station wagon with my mom when I was 16. Drove it for a year in High school before the engine gave up. It sat for years at my folks house until I finally got my shop built and got it to my house. I have started on it a couple times but went through some job changes that have severely slowed the project down. Just now getting the funds together to to start on it again and getting excited to get back at it.     

Ecode70D

Tanker8875   It's great to hear that you have your mother's 58 that she bought brand new.  It sure would be  nice to get it running  so that you can enjoy it again.   You will be surprised to see that it makes you feel like 16 again.
    I had a 58 Fairlane that I put a 390 in with 406 cam , solid lifters and a new 62 Ford 4 speed.
I used to beat the new 65 GTOs and all of the Ch$%s around here in the 1960s .  I liked that car a lot.

Thor

I'm sure it will make me feel young again once it is up and going. I remember, back when I was 9 or 10, going out to the back pasture at my grandparents farm and climbing in this 58 pretending I was out cruising! 8) It makes me feel young just talking about it!

lowrider

I looked at 2 58's before I got my 57. I prefer my 57 but I would have been happy with a 58. One reason I'm glad I didn't get a 58, one of them had an FE 390 w/a 4sp. I knew if I got it it would have a 406 or 427 in it at some point. And we all know what FE stands for (f*cking expensive). Besides, I'm a Yblock guy.

Tom S

Quote from: lowrider on 2013-01-31 09:05
I knew if I got it it would have a 406 or 427 in it at some point.
And that's a bad thing?          

Ecode70D

Tanker  I was not joking about certain cars making us feel young again.  That's how I feel every time I get anywhere near a plain Jane 57 Ford Custom.

Lowrider.. I got into FEs in the early years when they first came out and   the prices were reasonable.   I fondly remember walking into the Ford dealership around 1963 and paid $35.00 for a brand new 406 cam for my 390 engine in my 58 Ford.  An FE engine can sure wake up a 57-58 Ford and take it down the road very quickly. 

Tom S   I still like FEs .  When then they came out I felt that I had to get into them and get away from Y blocks.  Now I'm  excited about having a Y block in one of my cars again.  Actually , I just like Fords. 

hiball3985

I love the FE's. I don't take my pickup out to often but when I do it's fun. 390, 427 solid lifter cam, 428 Cobrajet heads, Mallory dual point, headers. I had to replace my stock Ford aluminum 4bbl manifold with an Edlebrock and it doesn't run as good as it use to but still fun to kick it in the ass sometimes  :003: I've thought about putting it in the Ranchero but I like my YBlock..
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang