News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Driver side horn

Started by chero69gt, 2013-03-17 19:02

Previous topic - Next topic

RICH MUISE

Same offer I've made other guys....after you get it and it checks out ok, just make a whatever donation to this forumn. I'll cover shipping also. Just give me til the end of the week to get it boxed up and mailed. PM me your address.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

RICH MUISE

Got you address...I'll let you know when I get it to the post office.

wildhog

There are 2 different style horns for the 57's It would look like the longer horns like Rich, has came of western cars.
Us flat landers call the long one's mountain horns. Don't know how that started!
Both style horns should be marked Hi-Lo
JUST A MIDNIGHT CRUISE DOWN THUNDER ROAD (TOM DRUMMOND MIDWEST DIRECTOR)

RICH MUISE

Roger...it's in the mail. Postman said Monday or Tuesday delivery.

Ford Blue blood

Gary I'm going to guess there was a real mixed bag with those horns.  My San Diego built Ranchero (early) has the little short curled up horns and my Louiseville built Retractable has the long straight horns.  The St. Louise (or K.C.?) built 300 I parted had the short ones too.....go figure
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

Tom S

Quote from: 57chero on 2013-03-18 14:00
The 57 horns have a longer bracket and the horn itself is longer.
Yes, that is what I remember.
Looked like this one that Rich M posted.

I had 2 of those that worked & sounded great but after sitting idle for years one quit & I couldn?t make it work.  Now I/m not sure where they are.  Probably stored them in an old van that/s now out through the snow.

Quote from: BWhitmore on 2013-03-18 13:56.. found lo horn that works well.  Willing to trade for a good hi horn.
As I said I have 2 that work.  Don/t look like Rich M's.  I do think they came off the '[[''58 Edsel front clip that's on my Ranchero.  I will probably have to use them.  The PO never did, never even mounted them.  If I ever find the '57 horns I will let you know if I have a hi that works. 
The 58 Edsel service manual that came with my Rancheo has a pic of a horn that looks like the ones I posted.  Has a short horn.  Pry off the the dome & the tone adjuster is under it.

Tom S

Ford Blue blood, I see you have a '58 Edsel.  Can you tell me what direction the horn faces  Is the loud end down or towards the center of the car?  I only assume it makes a difference on how well they can be heard.  If you have them pix would be great. 

chero69gt

Thank you Rich.
  I will let you know as soon as it arrives.

Thanks again,  Roger

Ford Blue blood

Quote from: Tom S on 2013-03-20 23:48
Ford Blue blood, I see you have a '58 Edsel.  Can you tell me what direction the horn faces  Is the loud end down or towards the center of the car?  I only assume it makes a difference on how well they can be heard.  If you have them pix would be great. 

Tom can't see them but feeling them they are the little wound up style and point down and a little to the center of the car.  One on each side of the center grill at the outboard edge of the radiator.  Yes they are quite loud and make todays horns sound like peddle cars..... :003:
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

Tom S

Quote from: Ford Blue blood on 2013-03-22 08:30... point down and a little to the center of the car... make todays horns sound like peddle cars..... :003:
Thanks.  Looks like the ones I posted in reply #10 have the right brackets & will fit right.  You must have the same ones.  Pry the 4 tabs up on the 'dome' & the tone adjustment is underneath.  Not quite the way it says in the manual.
Yeah, they sound like a car horn should.  Not wimpy little beep-beep things.

Tom S

Quote from: wildhog on 2013-03-19 16:16... the longer horns like Rich, has ... Both style horns should be marked Hi-Lo.
Found a pair of those.  One works, one don't.  Working one sounds like a low.  Can't find any Hi-Lo markings.
Can you tell us where they are?

SkylinerRon

Think the second horn was optional on Customs.
Ever seen the "mountain horns" ? They are about a foot long and super loud.
Regards,
Ron.

Tom S

Quote from: SkylinerRon on 2013-03-24 02:47Ever seen the "mountain horns" ?
Did you see post #13 & post #17?

SkylinerRon

I saw #13, my set is longer than those. Didn't see 2nd page last night, was tired. Sorry i'll try to be more attentive LOL.

Ron.

Tom S

Quote from: SkylinerRon on 2013-03-25 20:08... my set is longer than those.
Sure, that's what we all say.   :001: