News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Driver side horn

Started by chero69gt, 2013-03-17 19:02

Previous topic - Next topic

chero69gt

Im just wondering if anyone might have a driver side horn and bracket that they would be
  willing to part with .

Thanks,   Roger

57AGIN

chero69gt

I wound up having to get my Hi-Level horn replacement from Bud Kohler in Hesperia, CA.  It cost about $140, but was well worth it.  The Hi side wouldn't work but the Lo-Level side did.  Now that both are working, the horn, when honked, sounds like it's supposed to.  You will have to determine whether you need to replace the hi or low level side, as each gives a different sound.

Bob
57 AGIN

chero69gt

Thanks, Bob, I will check with Bud.
By the way, the pics in the gallery of  your
car at last years Knotts show has me and a
friend of mine in them. Your car is Very Nice!

Roger

RICH MUISE

140. for one horn? whoooow! nos?
Chero...let me know for sure which one you need..I've got my old ones with brackets that as far as I know worked when I pulled them off. I've already bought new aftermarket horns, so wasn't planning on using the old ones. I'm not sure if I'll be able to tell them apart hi or lo. let me know and I'll look for them...if I have them, you won't beat the price, but you'll need to clean them up.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

Ford Blue blood

Quote from: RICH MUISE on 2013-03-18 07:46
140. for one horn? whoooow! nos?

You've got to be kidding me!!!!!!!!  Rich if you can't find yours post here for sure, I have a pair, don't know if they work, came off a parted 300, need to know how to tell the difference....
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

BWhitmore

I too am looking for a good Hi horn.  Hesperia is a real profit center.

Tom S

Quote from: Ford Blue blood on 2013-03-18 08:13
You've got to be kidding me!!!!!!!! .... need to know how to tell the difference....
Me too.  I have one that works & want both.  I like the way the 57 horns sound but I ain't gonna pay that kind of $$$.

BWhitmore

The hi and lo horns are marked.

RICH MUISE

I'll go look for them and see if I can run 12 v to them and check them out.

Tom S

Quote from: BWhitmore on 2013-03-18 11:57The hi and lo horns are marked.
I know they usually are but haven't been able to find it on these.  Not even sure they are '57 horns.  Might be '58s but would think they would then look like '57s & they don't.  The horn part is much shorter. Might even be something else.  Maybe if I get the major rust off of 'em I can find the high/low marks.

Tom S

Quote from: BWhitmore on 2013-03-18 11:57The hi and lo horns are marked.
Ok, you shamed me into looking again. Finally found the markings hiding under the corrosion.  Right here, Ford Blue B.

Maybe I was wrong about the horn part being shorter.  Looked at another horn that I have mounted on my old van that I'm pretty sure came from a '57 Ford.  Only had one though.  It looked about the same. Forgot that it was a Spartan brand horn.  These are just labeled 12 volts on that side.
Do these look like '57 horns to anybody?

They both seem to work now but don't sound right to me.  Sound kind of flat.  No adjustment screw that I usually find on horns either.  :dontknow:

BWhitmore

Tom - I just found in my stash of parts a lo horn that works well.  It is an Autolite horn that is marked low.  Two small dents in the dome.  This horn fits on the driver's side.  Willing to trade for a good hi horn.

Thanks

57chero

The 57 horns have a longer bracket and the horn itself is longer.

RICH MUISE

well I just spent an hour looking thru my stuff and guess what...I only found one horn!! I know the manual says a hi and lo horn, but I'm wondering, since so many of us seem to have one horn, if some only came with one horn?? Or maybe there's a one horn bandit around.
There are no markings on mine, so I don't know if it's hi or lo, but size wise, it's more like  what Chero was describing, and definetly not like in Tom's pics. I did find a yellow 12v paint stamping on it. I hooked up a power source and all I can tell you is it's loud...I'm guessing more of a low pitch, but hard to tell without having two to compare.
Chero, maybe you can tell from the direction of the bracket if it's the one you need.

chero69gt

Rich,
That is indeed the horn and bracket I am looking for.  Would you be willing to part with it?  If so, please let me know how much.
Thank you very much, Roger