Something Weird Happened On My Way To A Car Show Friday Night

Started by 57AGIN, 2013-03-17 19:43

Previous topic - Next topic

57AGIN

I think you will get a big kick out of what happened to me on the way to an Elks Lodge car show last Friday night.  While driving on my way to the car show, I was frantically being signaled to by an SUV driving next to me.  When I stopped at a red light, one of the SUV's passengers dressed in a tuxedo leaned out his window and asked me if I wanted to make a few dollars and help out at a wedding.  I thought about it for a few seconds and said OK (I was already late for the show).  I followed the SUV to the Church and found out what their panic was all about.  Seems like the groom had just finished restoring a 62 VW 23 window van and on the way to the wedding, carrying all the groom's men, blew out the right rear tire because the van was way overloaded.  It wasn't a simple fix, as apparently something also happened to the suspension and the Best Man wanted to provide the newly weds an interesting or custom car to drive them from the wedding in Cypress to the boat they were holding the reception on a boat in Newport Beach (about 20 miles from the wedding).  So I waited outside the church, cleaned the windows that I was going to clean when I got to the show until the wedding ceremony had concluded.  Then the bride and groom had a bunch of photos taken in and around my car and I proceeded to deliver them to Newport Beach.

Needless to say my evening was much different than I had planned.  Turned out that I was the only person standing outside the church not dressed for a wedding.  I was in my Levis, tennis shoes and a FORD Racing jacket.  They forgave me.  I took a couple of photos and thought I'd share them with you, along with this fantastic tale.  I actually had a good time, made some $$$, but missed the car show entirely.

Bob
57 AGIN

JimNolan

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.

ROKuberski

That's pretty cool, for them and for you.

Is your car a 2-door? 

I used my '37 Chevy to deliver a bride and that car was 4-door.  Getting the wedding dress into the car took some delicate work.  I would imagine in a 2-door it would be even tougher.

Rich

6cyl57

way cool , and that beats the VW any day.
just think, at the car show someone may remember your car in a few years, ( not putting it down, it looks increadable)
But that wedding party will remember  it for a life time.
great pictures

25 years ago when I got married we used a '39 Chevy 4 door.

Ecode70D

Bob
That's a great.  Your car is beautiful. You and the wedding party will have some great memories.
Just think about when the wedding couple show the pictures your car their children years from now.   I'll bet that they keep in touch with you. Jay

sprink88

Your car is a way better choice anyway!  There is a good guy!
~Chris

57AGIN

Guys:

Yes it will be a great memory and thanks for the nice thoughts.  ROKuberski, the car is a Tudor and yes, as you can see from the picture the brides gown was a chore to stuff into the back seat.  My front seat really doesn't have much front & back movement, so they just had to work it out.  They did, and I was gentleman enough to not take photos of them doing it. lol

Bob
57 AGIN

robhaerr

Zapato

So what you're telling us that on the way to the Elks your 57 turned into the mythical '' Tijuana Taxi ''. LOL. Cars often add a lot to memories, you did well.

Zap- :unitedstates:
Zapato

Cruise low and slow.......Nam class of '72

4thgen57

When I got married 11 years ago, my 57 wasnt drivable. So we used my Uncles freshly restored 62 Impala 409, 4 speed car.

57 Ford Kustom

My brother drove my daughter and her new husband from the church to the reception in my 57'. She wanted a part of her Grandfather in her wedding.
Tim :unitedstates:
aka:Bluedot Kid 2
To fast to live, to young to die.

RICH MUISE

Cool story Bob..that was worth missing a show for! That was awefully nice of you to do for a stranger with no advanced notice.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

Ford Blue blood

I did that for a girl that worked with me, used a friends car, he has a 41 Olds 4 door, my 36 Chevy 2 door is just a real pain to get in and out of the back seat.  She had asked me about driving them from the church to the reception in my car and a previous experiance said the 4 door was the way to go.  He was kind enough to loan me the car for the evening. 

The previous experiance was my Aunt and Uncle's 50th wedding anniversary in 1986.  It was their 50th, the car was 50 years old, we were in WI on leave and attending the party so they thought it would be a good idea to have some pictures taken....well getting in for them was OK, but we all got real worried because they had a difficult time getting back out.  They were thrilled when the pictures came back.....
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

57AGIN

Guys:

Yeah, when the guy in the tux asked me if I wanted to help them out, my first thoughts were:  Could this be some kind of a subtrafuge to hijack my car???  Afterall in sunny Calif, that kind of thing isn't unheard of.  But then I realized that guys wearing tuxes wern't likely to be hijackers.  I also remembered that my wife and I were driven from our wedding at my wife's Catholic Church to the reception at my Protestant Church in my Best Man's 1966 GTO.  I also remembered that I had arranged for my Daughter and her husband to be transported from their wedding to the hotel reception in a 1929 Lincoln Touring car.  The owner was a Principal in the school district I worked for and he dressed up in a pin striped suit & fedora hat and had a violin case in the back seat for his Thompson sub-machine gun (lol).  I knew by taking them in my 57 this would help make their "Special Day" just that more special and give them something to talk about for years to come.

Bob
57 AGIN