News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

dash panel

Started by hiball3985, 2013-03-21 12:48

Previous topic - Next topic

hiball3985

This morning on EBay I saw a one piece dash panel for the heater/radio/clock. I had never seen one before?
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

Zapato

can you give us a link? be curious to see it myself.

Zap- :unitedstates:
Zapato

Cruise low and slow.......Nam class of '72

gasman826

Had one in my car.  When I redid the dash it sold on eBay pretty fast.

hiball3985

JIM:
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

wildhog

If you notice the lines in the one piece run the opposite direction as the single pieces, I had heard that the one piece was an early production run. I have also been told different assy. plants used different pieces. I don't know.But something even harder to find is a one piece for a town and country radio. I have this on my 57 sunliner that was bought for the Unser family from New Mexico. But that is not an early car.
JUST A MIDNIGHT CRUISE DOWN THUNDER ROAD (TOM DRUMMOND MIDWEST DIRECTOR)

Zapato

Like that a lot, but it still IMHO only a half ass effort on Ford's part. When you look at anything built by GM in those days the dash trim was always over the top and fancier than Ford. Perfect example is to compare Fords' plain jane 57 dash to that offered by Chev in 55 and 6. That area on our Fords should have been covered with something better than paint from dogleg to dogleg. Which is why the paint stripe on 57Again's car looks incredible.  Its a bit of flash where the factory gave us nothing, and in most cars 3 individual pieces that look like something out of a Honest Charley catalog. Of course as I said its my opinion. And we all have one and we all know its worth.

Zapato

JPotter57

Dad's Fairlane 500 has one..Pretty cool, if you have all the accessories that need it...I'd kind of like to have a one piece everything delete panel, too bad they didnt make one.
1957 Ford Custom 427 2x4 4 spd
Old, loud, and fast.

hiball3985

I would have used something like that and sacrificed my T/C radio. Better yet would have been one without the radio and clock that you could fill with your own gauges or whatever..
JIM:
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

Zapato

Quote from: JPotter57 on 2013-03-21 19:00
Dad's Fairlane 500 has one..Pretty cool, if you have all the accessories that need it...I'd kind of like to have a one piece everything delete panel, too bad they didnt make one.

That wouldn't really be too hard to make, if I ever get power in my shop will have to consider building one of those. Would definitely be cleaner looking than ''the three amigos''.

Zapato

Tom S

I have a 1 piece too.  If they are rare I didn't know it. 

Came with my '58 Ranchero & is one of the parts I sold the PO years ago.  Came off my '57 wagon that I junked in the early 70s.  Dammit. 
The wagon was bought new here by one of my Uncles.
I would like to use it but want a modern AM/FM radio to fit it.  Maybe one that will play disks but nothing expensive.  I know they do make AM/FM radios that will fit.  Any suggestions?

Has anyone seen a radio like this one?  I have ever seen a radio like this in a '57 & do not believe it is stock.  The lines don't show in the pic but they are there.
Guy claimed it was a stock radio but I don't think he knows much about his fairly new to him car.

500 4 door hardtop?

hiball3985

I've never seen a radio like that one either. I'm just guessing that the one piece was early production and then they realized how many people didn't want the optional clock, radio, not sure if heater was an option. I think most fleet vehicles didn't include those and people like my dad wouldn't pay for them :005: so they changed the design to allow deletes. Weren't the deletes plastic, that's what I seem to remember..
JIM:
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

lowrider

I had one of those 1 piece dash panels in my 57. When I installed a modern radio in it, the face plate had lines that went vertical so I had lines going both ways. Picked up a three piece one on fleabay so everything matches again. I'll have to dig out the old one & look it over.

SkylinerRon

If the car was ordered from the factory with  heater or a/c, radio and clock it generally had the one piece.
If not ordered with all three it triggered individual pieces and/or blockoffs.
BTW there are 2 different 1 piece plates, with and without T&C radio.
The heater and in dash a/c used the same holes.
Regards,
Ron.

hiball3985

I wonder what the thought was on making horizontal ribs on a one piece and vertical on individual.
JIM:
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

suede57ford

I have a parts car with a one piece and the Town&Country cut outs.  First one I had ever seen with the T&C and one-piece.  Same D-code car has a power seat too.
57 2dr Sedan, Black,VR57 Supercharged Y-block
57 T-bird, 460 C6
57 Ranchwagon, 5.0 AOD
57 Ranchero, VR57 Supercharged
57 Courier Delivery, 460 C6
57 2dr Sedan, Red/White
69 Mach1 428 R-Code
69 Talladega 428
69 Bronco 5.0
70 Torino Cobra SCJ 4spd,4:30 Drag Pak
34 Ford P.U. 427 Ford, 2-4s
69 Boss 429