News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

'57 Courier liftgate

Started by KidKourier, 2013-03-23 11:53

Previous topic - Next topic

KidKourier

Looking at the photos in the Gallery section,ragtop's pics of a yellow'57 Courier shows solid glass in back.My question is--Did Ford offer a option for a tailgate(wagon)or liftgate on the Couriers as I've seen a few with the 2 pc. tailgate and wondered if the owners changed them?I know of the wagons with liftgates that are coded as Couriers as well as amblances,coroners vehicles,florist deliverys.etc.So anyone know or have paperwork on this? Kid :006:

suede57ford

I noticed that one piece glass too.   It has the upper hinges like a courier should have.  The lift gate and rear window frame are a lot different than be two piece wagon ones as the Courier does not have all the extra holes punched like a wagon would.  It seems like you would really need the support brackets through the glass to support the spring loaded upper hinges.
57 2dr Sedan, Black,VR57 Supercharged Y-block
57 T-bird, 460 C6
57 Ranchwagon, 5.0 AOD
57 Ranchero, VR57 Supercharged
57 Courier Delivery, 460 C6
57 2dr Sedan, Red/White
69 Mach1 428 R-Code
69 Talladega 428
69 Bronco 5.0
70 Torino Cobra SCJ 4spd,4:30 Drag Pak
34 Ford P.U. 427 Ford, 2-4s
69 Boss 429

KidKourier

I agree,I thought that was the reason Ford went to the three piece glass was because of those braces.I still don't understand why they went to all the expense to make the liftgate when they already had a perfectly good tailgate system from the wagon which was more user friendly!Any Ford dealers,salesmen or mechanics,'57 Gurus out there know?Oh and Pat,I know you won't remember my face but we talk about your "57 Custom when you and your Dad came out for "Route 66"in San Bernadino,you were on one side of the street and he was on the other side and while we were talking this guy walks up and joins in discussing your car.Let's see,what was his name--GEORGE--uh,umm POTEET, yeah that's it GEORGE(I build everything) POTEET.LOL Who knew then!! KID

Lou

Yes Ford offered a station wagon tailgate on the Courier, I've seen several.
As for why the lift gate on the Courier, 2 reasons, #1 Easyer to reach in and get items, #2 In bad weather the lift gate gave some protection to anyone getting items from the rear of the vehicle.
FYI: Couriers could be ordered with glass in the side panels rather than solid sides, also glass could be ordered in one side only (AT&T New Haven, Conneticut)

ragtop

the liftgate on my courier was changed befor I got the car someone cut a wagon top window to bolt to hinges and put lower hinges on lower tailgate don't know if I'm going to leve it or not?

suede57ford

KidKourier,  I do remember being in San Bernadino back then on the Last Stop of Power Tour.   It was a great trip.  My buddy Mike and I drove the Black '57 and my parents drove their red/white Hot Rod '58 Edsel .  We both had photos in Rod&Custom and my car was used for the "Overdrive Transmissions" swap article in Hot Rod.  George Poteet had a lot of interest in both our cars.  We talked with him for quite awhile.  Those were fun times driving old Fords across country and meeting people.

Hopefully we can be on part of Power Tour this summer in my '57 again, but with Krista and the two kids. My parents are planning on driving an old Ford too.

I picked up another Courier Parts car recently.   It was a V8 car with everything delete and buckets, but lots of rust.  It has all the parts my other Courier is missing so it will help me get my other Delivery a little closer.  My family is planning on doing a group photo with a bunch of our '57 Fords in one picture this summer, so I need to get a couple more running.
57 2dr Sedan, Black,VR57 Supercharged Y-block
57 T-bird, 460 C6
57 Ranchwagon, 5.0 AOD
57 Ranchero, VR57 Supercharged
57 Courier Delivery, 460 C6
57 2dr Sedan, Red/White
69 Mach1 428 R-Code
69 Talladega 428
69 Bronco 5.0
70 Torino Cobra SCJ 4spd,4:30 Drag Pak
34 Ford P.U. 427 Ford, 2-4s
69 Boss 429