News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Finned aluminum valve covers

Started by Ecode70D, 2013-03-29 11:13

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom S

Quote from: 57 Ford Kustom on 2013-04-09 13:14
Tom, Great score!
Maybe not as good as it looked. On top of his $20 shipping that was listed the guy wants another $34.43 to ship to Alaska via UPS or FedEx.  UPS & FedEx screw us on shipping. They are quite often 2, 3, & sometimes 4 times the cost of the USPS.  Told him to check with USPS first.  I bet it will be half the cost.

Zap, I think you have the same idea that I have had for years with that T-Bird emblem.  Started to try it once but never went very far.
Now if somebody would start casting a flock of these .... 

Zapato

Tom, I know practically nothing about casting or pattern making but since someone mentioned a t-bird valve cover for FEs its been spinning wildly in my head. NOT that there is a need for another project here in Zapatoville but ideas lead to learning and doing.

Zap- :unitedstates:
Zapato

Cruise low and slow.......Nam class of '72

Tom S

Quote from: Zapato on 2013-04-09 16:27
Tom, I know practically nothing about casting or pattern making
I don't either but, of course, somebody sure does.  From something I heard I don't think it's that hard to cast aluminum, but I could be very wrong.
Seems to me that the first thing you would need is an impression casting, or whatever it's called, a negative of sorts, of the bird.  Plaster of paris or whatever they use for that. :dontknow:  Probably ain/t Plaster of paris!
After they are made mill the fins off the middle of a valve cover & mount the T-Bird emblem.

rmk57

If someone did manage to mass produce cast aluminum t-bird covers for an fe I wonder if copyright laws would be a problem or if Ford would even care.
Randy

1957 Ford Custom
1970 Boss 429

Zapato

Ford would definitely care, look at all the repro parts ads and the usually state authorized by Ford. I'd just want to make a pair or even one as a wallhanger and use it to mess with people's heads, Heck even just to build a wooden pattern and have it on my shelves would freak FE purists.

Probably be able to find all Information need to do some on youtube,

Zap- :unitedstates:
Zapato

ragtop

take a fe finned cover and a 61-63 t-bird emblem have the cover milled in the shape of emblem and  epoxy together ford put a t-bird emblem on the 3x2 air cleaner in birds with a t-bird only intake because motor sat at a diffrent degree

RICH MUISE

run a search on the Hamb..back a month or two ago a hamber did an in-depth thread on casting aluminum parts at home...including how to make a home made furnace, how to melt stuff like old alum wheels for the pour, etc.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

Frankenstein57

The aluminum in wheels is a superior alloy compared to aluminum scrap that is around, one of the reasons it brings a better scrap price.

Ford Blue blood

I just carried in $50 worth of aluminum and pop cans.  The cans brought more then the "clean" aluminum which was several old screen door and window frames.  Read and article many years ago where a guy used only cans to make belt buckles....took a bunch of them per buckle.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

Ecode70D

Jim
    Those rocker covers are going to look nice on your engine.  It's a bummer that the shippers treat you like a second class citizen (Pardon the pun.) because you live in Alaska.  Is US Postage just as bad?
Jay

Tom S

Quote from: ragtop on 2013-04-10 14:08.. a 61-63 t-bird emblem ...
I don't think that would look anything like the T-bird valve cover emblem though.  I can't even find a pic of the T-Bird emblem that was on the 61-63 T-Bird 3x2 air cleaner.
Not sure where you would get one, didn't find any repos of those either.
Did they have the flags like these?

Tom S

Quote from: Ecode70D on 2013-04-11 07:29
Jim Is US Postage just as bad?
No, Jay.  Hey!  Pay attention, will ya.     Jim??
Quote from: Tom S on 2013-04-09 14:27UPS & FedEx screw us on shipping. They are quite often 2, 3, & sometimes 4 times the cost of the USPS.  Told him to check with USPS first.  I bet it will be half the cost.
The guy took my advice & went to the post office & mailed them yesterday.     USPS  Parcel Post,  $28.85.  Just a buck .64 over 1/2 of the $54.43 UPS cost.  UPS sucks.  I sent him another 10 bucks.

Zapato

Quote from: Tom S on 2013-04-12 00:31

Did they have the flags like these?

Those emblems were not T-bird exclusive, did a google image search couple days ago and there is quite a variety of bird emblems thru-out the years. What does the one between the back seats of the early/mid 60s look like?
Zapato

Tom S

Quote from: Zapato on 2013-04-12 01:43
Those emblems were not T-bird exclusive, did a google image search couple days ago and there is quite a variety of bird emblems thru-out the years. What does the one between the back seats of the early/mid 60s look like?
Yup.  Those appear to be fender emblems. Fairly common on a lot of Fords.  Don't know if they were even on Birds.

Quote from: Tom S on 2013-04-12 00:31I can't even find a pic of the T-Bird emblem that was on the 61-63 T-Bird 3x2 air cleaner.
Found one ...

Yikes!  1600 bucks!
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1961-1962-1963-Ford-Thunderbird-ORIG-390-6V-TRI-POWER-AIR-CLEANER-ASSEM-w-EMBLEM-/151024715105?pt=Vintage_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2329c64561&vxp=mtr

The 3x2s on the 406 in my roadster had a home build oval air cleaner. I found a factory finned top at a swap meet 'Outside' that some dork had cut a round hole into for a PVC valve.    Got it reeal cheap.  Had bunch of .013// thick aluminum sheet.
Glued some on to each side of the top &
painted/trimmed the outside edge with a black pinstripe.  Been on there for over 30 years & still looks good & the finish is smoother than stockers.  Don't recall anybody questioning it.

Ford Blue blood

The new issue of Hot Rod (June) has a "how to" on casting aluminum.  Includes making your own crucible......and for those of you lusting after something different.....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MINT-Lincoln-317-368-aluminum-valve-covers-1956-1957-hot-rod-32-ford-y-block-/290897218765?pt=Vintage_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item43bad34ccd&vxp=mtr#ht_242wt_1240
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II