News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

power brake booster

Started by 57 Ford Kustom, 2013-04-14 20:44

Previous topic - Next topic

57 Ford Kustom

I have Granada disc on the front and stock drum on the rear. I'm looking to get a brake booster, any recommendations?
Thanks,
Tim :unitedstates:
aka:Bluedot Kid 2
To fast to live, to young to die.

57AGIN

57 Ford Kustom:

Depends on what you are looking for and what you can spend.  I wanted to get rid of the big vacuum booster I had on my 57 when I first put the front Grenada Discs and stock rear drums.  (See Photo)  I also had some concerns because I had to use a vacuum accumulator tank mounted in the fender well, as my 351W only puts out about 13" Hg.  (15" Hg are recommended for vacuum power boosters)  Rick (57 Tudor) had issues with clearing his fenderwell headers on his 427 FE powered 57.  Both of us went with ABS Power Brake's electric hydraulic booster pumps used in conjunction with their master cylinders.  They aren't inexpensive, but they both work and look great.  You can mount the electric hydraulic booster pump just about anywhere, Rick's is mounted on the frame directly under his master cylinder, mine is mounted to the frame under the driver's seat.  I'm sure there are numerous other brake booster options, these are the only ones with which I'm familiar.  Good luck.

Bob
57 AGIN

RICH MUISE

Tim...aside from recommendations you will get here, if it were me I'd check with Dave at Drop-n-Stop. Have heard and experienced nothing but good about him. His link is on our list of suppliers.
Rich
Bob posted his reply while I was typing. What Bob and Rick have is what I hope to end up with eventually..but for me, the $ amount on the system will mean it's on a list of thing to upgrade at a later date. Good point Bob made also with the vacumn problem, as I know your running a 351 also, but I suspect yours shouldn't have the vacumn "issue" his has....but something to look into.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

57 Ford Kustom

Rich, and Bob,
   Thanks for the replies! I also don't have alot to spend, the IRS robbed me this year, and then shook me down again, saying they over paid me in 2006! That is for another time! Lol! I love your setup Bob, that will definitely be in the future, but for now I can't spend alot. I will have to take a vacuum test on my 351. Great info, thanks guys!
Tim :unitedstates:
aka:Bluedot Kid 2
To fast to live, to young to die.

57AGIN

57 Ford Kustom:

Don't feel you are lonesome in the IRS rape this year.  I only worked half the year last year and was expecting a bit of a refund.  Got a small refund from the State (and for California, that is a rare thing), but the FED's doubled what I had to pay last year and on top of that I had to pay the first installment of my estimated taxes for next year in April, too.  I'm not usually ploitical, but is this part of O'Bama Care?

Bob
57 AGIN

sprink88

I wanted to do something nice for power brakes this year too. BUT I am in Tim's shoes. Just got a letter saying I was over paid in 2010. WTF? Not I am trying to find overtime just to get my projects finished to be on the road this year. Brakes will have to wait. But I am really interested in that electric booster. Makes it so clean looking.
~Chris