News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

virus anyone?

Started by RICH MUISE, 2013-10-03 16:47

Previous topic - Next topic

RICH MUISE

I'm on a different computer. Shortly after I logged off this forum this morning and logged onto ebay I started getting weird virus alerts that stop me from going anywhere. The alerts not coming from Mcaffe though, who is our security provider. I even had Mcafee run a complete 2 hour scan, and no viruses found...."no action needed". I noticed logging on with this computer, that no one has posted since this morning. ??
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

Ford Blue blood

Nope, good here.  Mcaffe hit the circulare file here, too many issues with missed "stuff" from other peoples emails and the final straw was when it locked me out of secure sites.  Mind you I only have two secure places I go but it really hacked me off.  Had to take this machine to the doctor because Mcaffe would not let me delete their files and program!  Now that sent me over the edge, there is enough "stuff" controlling my life that I have no control over so I did the right thing....outta here!

Sorry for the rant.....the "shut down", congressional exemption and all the BS those self rightious butt heads (both sides) have just filled me up.  I didn't serve 28 3/4 years, four combat zones and too many missed family things for this crap!
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

gasman826

Microsoft Security Essentials is up near the top of the pile...and it's FREE.

Most single user computers like yours and mine are set up with one user account.  We do everything from that one user login.  It's my computer and no one else uses it so why should I have two user logins.  With one user ID, all the security is at the administrator level...you can go anywhere and change anything on your computer...as it should be.  Unfortunately, we log on to the internet in administrative mode and the hackers change our 'setup' files.  All HTTP sites are pretty secure.  But if there is NOT an 's' on the end of http, the site is NOT secure.  Hackers can mess with your register files without downloading a virus.EXE file.  Antivirus software is looking for .EXE files and does a fair job of blocking them.

ONLY SURF THE INTERNET IN NON-ADMINISTRATOR MODE OR GO ONLY TO SITES WITH ADDRESSES STARTING WITH HTTPS

hiball3985

No problem here, I use Microsoft Security Essentials also and spybot, dumped McAfee years ago.
Rich I was able to post this afternoon in your 4.6 install thread.
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

RICH MUISE

All straightened out..although a call to mcaffee was useless. It wasn't a virus, but apparently an internet security company that installed it's program somehow on my computer...then started telling me everything I went to was a potential threat...I guess so I'd click on the program icon and either intall a virus at that point, or try to sell me a security system. It's all been deleted, and everything is working fine, except my keyboard keeps misspelling stuff.

rmk57

Was it Win-Zip? I just tagged with that one. It did uninstall easy enough.
Randy

1957 Ford Custom
1970 Boss 429

hogwagon

I had that after going over to a link on HAMB and picked up the security infinate loop. My son cleared it out for me but it had me down for awhile and has really kept me away from a couple of sites.

RICH MUISE

it wasn't win-zip. Security Pro or something similar.
Hey Jon good to hear from you.

Zapato

Quote from: RICH MUISE on 2013-10-03 20:36
mcaffee was useless.

Had McAffee years ago , constantly had to do updates and never seemed to do what I paid for. Always had me wondering if the ad a division dedicated to creating viruses so that they could loo good coming up with instant fixes as it would happen 2-3 times a week. Every once in awhile it self loads and causes nothing but headaches. Really wish they would just disappear.

Zap- :unitedstates:              :deadhorse:
Zapato

Cruise low and slow.......Nam class of '72

RICH MUISE

We've actually had pretty good luck with Mcaffe. Looking back, they (I) ran the Mcaffee virus check, and found none. We assumed it was one, but apparently it wasn't, so I guess Mcaffee can't be blamed for not catching something when it wasn't there.

Jeff Norwell

I run a Mac..... never have had a problem.
"Don't get Scared now little Fella"

1957 Ford Custom-428-4 speed
1957 Ford Custom 300-410-4 speed

http://www.norwell-equipped.com