News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

1963 390 Fordomatic work on my 292 Y-block?

Started by hotrodtex1@yahoo.com, 2013-10-22 18:31

Previous topic - Next topic

hotrodtex1@yahoo.com

I found a rebuilt one and the tag number is PCEBP060234, supposed to have been behind a 390FE in a galaxie.

Does anybody know if will work in place of '57 Fordomatic?

Thanks for the help in advance

glen b henderson

Yes and no. The FE bell housing will not bolt to the y bock nor will the torque converter bolt to the y block flex plate. However the parts from the orginal 57 trans can be transferred over to the 63 trans. If you search this forum or the y block forum, you will find a lot of discussion on this topic.
Freedom is not Free

hotrodtex1@yahoo.com

Can anybody confirm based on the data tag what this fordomatic is? 

I have the original '57 transmission so maybe I could just swap bell housings and buy a rebuilt converter???

SkylinerRon

PCE-B is 1961 390  no PCE-BP found any year.
You will need y-block bell, flywheel and converter.
Also some way to shift it.
Goodluck,
Ron.

KULTULZ

Quote from: hotrodtex1@yahoo.com on 2013-10-23 19:27

Can anybody confirm based on the data tag what this fordomatic is?

As mentioned, a 1961 CM, MX to be exact.

The FORDOMATIC (last year used- 1960) was single range whereas the CRUISEOMATIC was dual range. The MX is the stronger mid-size case.

MEL DIVISION - 1958-1960

MERCURY - EDSEL - LINCOLN

gasman826

Not much information around about Fordomatic.  I think the original post was to swap a '63 Galaxie trans to a '57.  I think the question was answered.  I think the Galaxie trans would swap by substituting a Y-block bell and torque converter.  The Galaxie trans is a Cruisomatic and not a Fordomatic.  The '57 shift controls would require an upgrade for the different shift pattern and kick down linkage.  The Cruisomatic has three forward gear selections and Fordomatic has two.  That does not mean that the Fordomatic is a two speed though some early '60s Fordomatics were two speeds.

I've been trying to save my '57 Fordomatic.  I found the numbers are not helpful.  The numbers on the Borg Warner, oval shaped, aluminum tag behind the shifter shafts were not in any of the ID decoders that I referenced.  I spent phone time with a couple of antique transmission parts places.  They ID Fordomatics physically.  Pre '57 transmissions were air cooled.  Some HD applications had a oil cooler hooked to heater hoses (usually pickups).  Later models had aluminum cases.  Most '57 Fordomatics have iron center cases in small and medium versions.  The small version is ID'd as 9-7/8" from the bell to the tail housing.  The medium version is ID'd as 10-1/8" from the bell to the tail housing.  This is how FATSCO Transmission parts in New Jersey ID'd my trans.  They asked these questions to determine mine is a small case Fordomatic.  All the O-rings, frictions, seals, and pan gasket have fit.  My transmission worked fine.  I just couldn't keep oil in it.  Huge leak with constant dripping from the bell housing.  I pulled it with the expectation of the converter o-ring failure.  The converter was fairly dry and the o-ring looked good.  The converter to pump seal looked good.  I split the pump and the o-ring had failed...hard and brittle.  Since the pump half o-ring had failed, I assumed the other internal O-rings would be in similar condition.  Complete overhaul...if I could find a kit.  FATSCO had everything and shipped fast (not cheap)!!  I'll start putting trans back in tomorrow.

Lou

Transmission ID is right here under "Tech Info Links"