News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

9'/4:11/AOD tran's

Started by bagboy, 2007-12-15 20:40

Previous topic - Next topic

bagboy

Got a 4:11 gear set-57 RW with AOD.Anybody tried this combo? I feel it will have a wicked down shift from O/D. Can't wait!!!

FoMoCo57

Also have AOD under the bench, someday to install. Seems like that would the best of both worlds. The research
I've done seems that it is spendy to upgrade the trans for serious HP. Know a gut that did a 302 falcon and loved
it. He burned it up in  with less than 5k on it. It was his very first project. Hopefully someone on this
site has had better results.

bagboy

Yea,I know if you don't have TPV cable set right-tran's won't last.Mine had a fresh ohaul,then a russian ran a red lite.57 not a race car,gears are free.Seem's like the right thing to do.The best are 88 and up out of PU.

nick

hello, i just installed a(86) aod in 57 ranchero, bad vibration, my motor is a 68 the old trans was a c4 and the old flywheel was to small for the new torque converter so i used the 86 flywheel, the counter weight on the 86 was about twice as big as the 68 so i have been drilling holes in it to get the weight down(shade tree mech.) its gotten alot better but not sure if its the right thing. help

bagboy

SB fords have early & late balance.1975 or so was the split.I have 69 351w and used early flywheel 28oz.Tran's was 87 302 Grand Mar.,bolted up fine.Stop what your doing and check with Ford or tran's shop.Don't mess with 'shadetree'balance job.There is a flywheel that will fit.

nick

i talked to the guy at ford wasn't much help, then i went across the road and talked to the guy at the machine shop and he had paper work on what weights were for what years and said he could do it. so I'm hoping this will solve my problem. thanks

bagboy

Talked to my friend-sayes you need Aod flywheel .early 28oz.Ford should be able to get one for you.Flange may be different on Aod.

JPotter57

1978 up was when Ford went to 50 oz balance on 5.0 (302) only.  351(5.8) stayed 28 oz all its life.  Use flexplate for 351 truck or copcar with 351W and AOD.
1957 Ford Custom 427 2x4 4 spd
Old, loud, and fast.

ranchero57

Hi guys
Let me relate my experience with the out of balance problem.My 82 f-150 broke a crankshaft (200000 miles)coming home from new orleans.After I researched the cost of repair,I discovered I could replace cheaper than rebuild.Put a short block in and rebuilt my heads.When I fired her up she shook worse than my dog after a bath.I did not want to pull the engine out (the company that supplied the short block offered to swap for a correct external balance short block)so I got a correct balance damper.That helped but still not acceptable.I got under the truck with a cutting torch and cut a little off the balance weight then fired her up.I took about 4 or 5 repititions until it was smooth as glass.I put another 150000 miles on that f-150 and sold it still running good.You could rebalance your flywheel by putting 28 oz opposite the existing balance weight and find a static bubble balancer and drill away until it balances out. Campy (ranchero57) 

nick

hello
  does anybody have any pictures of how they hooked up the shifter ling. on a aod trans? any ideas would be a big help.
  thanks

JPotter57

You'll probably have to modify the detents on the shifter, so that they'll line up where the gears are.  My `74 F100 was a gear off on all of them until I swapped in an `84 Column, came with AOD, so that fixed it.....
1957 Ford Custom 427 2x4 4 spd
Old, loud, and fast.

bagboy

We used 59 2sp colume.Bell crank from donor car [87 G.Merk].Have all detents on AOD.Made detents window,painted letters on,and made pointer [eazy for an model builder].I can take pictures. PM me for phone#