News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

core support mounting

Started by 57 imposter, 2013-10-28 16:14

Previous topic - Next topic

57 imposter

I can't remember the correct order the core support mounting parts go in. The pictures I took 1 1/2 years ago, at the time made perfect sense now might as well be in Klingon. Does anyone have a diagram that will help assemble this thing correctly?           Thanks

RICH MUISE

I'm in the same boat. Somebody posted an assy drawing a year or two back, and I made a copy of it, but can't find it either. As for the bolt, I do remember all the spacers have to be used, whether on top or under, to take up the length of the bolt. What I don't remember and am looking for is whether the big curved spring/plate has the ends up (against the core support), or down (against the crossmember). may not make any difference.
I've kept my eye open for a new/nos main bolt, but have never seen one.
Was your question in reference to the sheetmetal parts? I don't have that diagram either.
Rich
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

Ecode70D

Rich
     When you find out which  way the core support spring goes, let us know.  I probably have mine in wrong.  Jay

hiball3985

Mine is missing completely, I used a rubber donut thingy I found in a box of junk and locking nut just snugged down  :003:
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

Ford Blue blood

Both the Ranchero and the Retractable have the "spring" down against the cross member.  My 60 wagon is like that too.  Need to check the Edsel as I know it has never been apart.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

RICH MUISE

Thanks Bill. I'll tell Jay.
Jay.....
Hiball. The entire front end sheetmetal attaches to that core support, which is anchored in the center with that one bolt. With the "spring", the spacers give some up and down adjustment to the nose of the car, depending on where you put them, and that "curved spring plate" gives enough support to hold that adjustment, yet still have some bounce in it. Your rubber donut may be working fine, but if you're having any trouble with nose alignment....

hiball3985

Thanks Rich,
I know how it's suppose to be but the spring was missing when I got the car, it didn't even have a nut on the bolt, the rubber donut is just temporary until I find a spring.. It's been working fine so far.
JIM:
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

RICH MUISE

I didn't lose the diagram...I lost my memory. It's in the buletins I posted in "technical diagrams". Buletin 337, page 2
http://57fordsforever.com/smf/index.php?topic=3238.0
Note: spring is shown in diagram with ends up.

hiball3985

Thank you Rich, that was the diagram I was looking for, now saved on my computer where I won't remember where it is. Now I see I'm missing more then the spring  :005:. Mine only had the bolt and a couple of shims...

I see replacement pucks that are listed as rubber, is that correct?
JIM:
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

RICH MUISE

The bulletin is saved here, in our "technical Diagrams" board....where I didn't remember it was. Yes, rubber. or, "Little Rubber Puckies" I believe I got mine from Dennis Carpenter or classicautoparts.
Now the question is, did we answer 57 imposter's question?

hiball3985

Quote from: RICH MUISE on 2013-10-29 10:02
Now the question is, did we answer 57 imposter's question?
I thought the link to the diagram covered it.
JIM:
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

57 imposter

Thanks for finding that Rich. Of all the ways to put that together, I would have never come up with the correct option. I know I was missing the rubber bushings so will get them ordered. Carpenter lists them for about $2.00 a pair. I am almost positive that my support assy. was assembled wrong. I was worried about getting the proper core support height as I am sure that will affect hood fit and front fender to door gaps.

RICH MUISE

Quote from: hiball3985 on 2013-10-29 10:09
I thought the link to the diagram covered it.
I wasn't sure if he was looking for the info in the diagram, or how all the sheetmetal components fit together around the core support. I had a question a while back about whether the leading edge of the inner fender wells was inside the nose piece, or outboard from the fender. Guys here posted both ways.

57 imposter

Just ordered  my $2.00 rubber pads with a $9.99 freight charge. Irritating since I know I could have made them had I known the proper thickness. If it will help anyone, when I get mine I will post all the correct dimensions and you can make your own. I will probably have to make some more shims also as I only have two. having a sample, that will be an easy fix.

gasman826

Quote from: 57 imposter on 2013-10-29 18:55
... I am sure that will affect hood fit and front fender to door gaps.
Hang the fenders and get the correct fender to door gap first and then shim the core support