News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Hydro-Wipe??

Started by Boss/Cyclone, 2013-11-05 13:08

Previous topic - Next topic

Boss/Cyclone

I already have a hydro-boost for my 57 out of a 03 Cobra, so when I was walking around the junkyard today and saw a hydro-wipe in a 63 Lincoln I thought why not.  It's got to be better than the factory vacuum setup, I think.  Anyone have any experience with these, are they strong enough to work on a 57?.  I guess I'll have a lot of powersteering lines running around under my hood if I figure it out.

Here is a picture.
57 Ford two door wagon
67 Shelby GT500 #2100 428, dual quads, 4speed
65 Cyclone drag car, 427, 4speed, ladder bars, etc.
64 Cyclone, Aztec Gold, 289, 4speed
66 Mustang GT fastback 347 5speed 4.22 gears
69 Mustang GT convertible 351 auto

RICH MUISE

I've never even heard of them before, so I won't be any help there except for one thing to find out about it. Unless you're gonna replace the pulleys and cables inside the cowl with a fairly elaborate hard arm system, you're going to need a wiper motor that goes back and forth like the old vacumn wiper (or new electric replacement motor), rather than rouny-round like the new cars. If the Lincoln motor you have goes back and forth, half the battle is won. Don't forget also your hydro-boost brake setup is plummed off the power steering pump, so adding a wiper motor may be too much for it.? I don't know...just thinking outloud.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

Boss/Cyclone

It does just go back and forth so should be good with cables, hope the amount of movement is enough.  I also wonder if I'll have enough from the pump to power all three things.  I'll just try it out and if it don't work I"ll go electric.  This hydro-wipe uses a cable to actuate it and the stock 57 one looks like it will work.
57 Ford two door wagon

RICH MUISE

cool...keep us posted on how it works. You're in the same boat I am...won't know for sure how anything works til I get my drivetrain running. I hope my to-do list doesn't grow too long when that date comes.

gasman826

'64-'66 Thunderbirds also had hydraulic wipers.  Go for it!!!!  I haven't noticed any oil pressure/volume issues with power rack and hydraulic booster.

Boss/Cyclone

Quote from: gasman826 on 2013-11-05 18:59
'64-'66 Thunderbirds also had hydraulic wipers.  Go for it!!!!  I haven't noticed any oil pressure/volume issues with power rack and hydraulic booster.

Well since you're just down the road, if I have problems I'll give you a call.  My concern is the  "bundle of snakes" which will be all the power steering lines run threw the car and the ability for the pump to keep up.  Probably will be ok. We will find out eventually.
57 Ford two door wagon

gasman826

If it's raining...just don't stop or turn!

gasman826

If the wiper motor mounts in the OEM place, the lines will be short runs from the brake booster.  My lines run from the pump to the booster and then to the power steering.  The return lines run separate from the booster and the steering back to the pump.  I would consider splitting off the pressure side for the wiper between the booster and steering.  Run a separate return line back to the pump.  Since I have a manual transmission and an automatic radiator, I route the PS lines through the trans cooler.  You should definitely consider some sort of PS oil cooler.  Many heavily optioned Fords had PS coolers.

Boss/Cyclone

Thanks for the picture.   My Shelby has a factory powersteering cooler and I have a few old ones lying around here. 
57 Ford two door wagon

RICH MUISE

Quote from: Boss/Cyclone on 2013-11-05 21:12
Thanks for the picture.   My Shelby has a factory powersteering cooler and I have a few old ones lying around here.
The Mark viii I'm using does as well.

gasman826

If that little bitty cooler is for just the power steering, should the cooler be twice as big for PS and PB?  If true, should the cooler be three times the size for PS, PB and power wipers?

Boss/Cyclone

Gary, I don't know, but on late 90's Mustangs Ford just cooled the power steering fluid by running it threw a long steel line in front of the core support.  I'll make sure it gets enough cooling.  I'm not sure how yet.
57 Ford two door wagon

RICH MUISE

Man, your bringing pointers up to solve my riddles just left and right. I couldn't figure out why the Mark viii had such a long supply line from the reservoir to the pump...a good 4 or 5 feet of line when they could have done it with a foot. It still also had a cooling condenser though.

Boss/Cyclone

Played around with the hydro-wipe today.  The swipe of the hydro-wipe is close to the original vacuume wipe.  It is probably 10 degrees less but i think it will be fine.  Another issue is that I will have to mount it upside down because one of the lines would hit the hood.  No big deal but that makes the factory 57 control cable have to wrap around to the other side and it may not reach.  I did not look under the dash, but I assume I could change where the cable goes threw the firewall and still be able to use it.  I am a long way from trying it out, just wanted to give an update.
57 Ford two door wagon

gasman826