News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

3 speed auto confusion

Started by VwDrvFnd, 2013-11-12 20:58

Previous topic - Next topic

VwDrvFnd

i am new here so forgive me if this has been addressed befor, i tried the search but did not find the answer i was looking for.
I have a 292 y-block with a 3 speed with overdrive on the column. i am looking to pull it and replace it with a true 3 speed automatic. I was originally looking at a C4 with an adapter and using an Ididit column with shift and tilt. after much reading and talking to a few shops i was told that there might be a 3 speed auto i could use that would bolt right up to the y-block (MX/Fx/FMX/ford o matic/cruise o matic). Can someone please tell me what transmission i need to be looking for and some places where i might possibly find one? Thanks in advance!

Steven Heinemann
nevetsdh@att.net
I have a rust hole in my passanger side inner fender well, It's 58 years old what do you expect?

hiball3985

As far as I know the only direct bolt on would be the Fordomatic. I have no idea where you can find one. I would be interested on you 3 speed OD trans if you ever decide to depart with it..
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

Jerrys Kars

I have two. One is a Ford-O-Matic and the other a Merc-O-Matic. Both will bolt up. Have torque converters. Were running non leaking when removed.

Contibob

I understand that the 58/59 cruise-o-matic was available on the y-block. Someone once told me the main difference between early ford-o-matic and 58/59 cruise-o-matic was the valve body. I bought a 57 wagon a couple of years ago that had a 59 292 with the cruise-o-matic in it. It actually had the P R N D2 D1 L detents. I know the trans filter/gasket kit for later c-o-m trans is the same as the f-o-m. Bob

SkylinerRon

Cruisomatic was available optionally on 58-62  292's  Later ones have  aluminum bells.
Fordomatic was a 3sp 51-57 but, it started out in 2nd, for low you have to manually shift it.
Goodluck,
Ron.