News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Morning coffee

Started by RICH MUISE, 2013-11-20 08:11

Previous topic - Next topic

RICH MUISE

LG.....thanks. It took a while for me to find it. It's actually in the "look and layout" section, and there are two central time zones to choose from.....an hours difference.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

djfordmanjack

quote Rich: >> As I've said before..trying to survive today's prices on yesterday's income is tough. <<

Very true, Rich. It is getting tough for most everybody but must be really annoying for a pensioner, having worked hard all of your life and now getting slowly drained of your savings.
Things are becoming ridiculous over here. Some of my hardware suppliers won't even accept a (paid cash in store) order under $60. I am a certified customer, mind you. My main steel and metal supplier has moved his warehouse 50 miles from my place. Now wants $150 truck freight shipping fee every time....I used to get 2pcs or so electro zinc coated 20 gauge sheetmetal there. no more. last week I had to order a few 22mm (7/8") washers from northern Germany, because couldn't get any in Austria.

This, while you can buy all kinds of plastic and electronic crap, cheap rags and garbage food at any given mall, every other block or so. Real work and stuff has become obsolete unfortunately, and in addition - like you mentioned, the working prices have become totally unreasonable.

Fairlane62

Rich, will the city allow horizontal auger boring so the street doesn't have to be disturbed?

James

RICH MUISE

"Rich, will the city allow horizontal auger boring so the street doesn't have to be disturbed?"
I don't know, but the tie in is in/under  the street, so some intrusion into the pavement would still be necessary. Tomorrow will be a week, and still no quotes.

Fairlane62

Ugh, that's a bad deal.  The road was probably narrower when the pipes were originally installed.

RICH MUISE

No, city street, not country. My guess is if it was in the sidewalk area, there would have to be two main sewer lines per street, or one side would have to cross anyways. Running it under the street meant only one. This is in the old historic district of San Jacinto which old rt66 ran right thru. Was a really nice neighborhood when my wife grew up there in the 50's.

FiveSevenLiter

1957 Custom 300 - since 2012
1951 Mercury M3 - since 2004
1951 Ford F1 - since 1987
1950 Ford Tudor - since 2019
2009 Sport Trac Adrenalin

mustang6984

Never saw that you had replied to my question...not getting any e-mails at all from the site.
The city should be (legally) responsible for ALL costs from your property line out to their pipes.
Nothing is impossible...
The word it's self says I'M POSSIBLE  (Audrey Hepburn)
2 '57 Ford Couriers AND '57 Fairlane
3 Mustangs, '69 fastback-'84 SVO-'88 Saleen Convertible
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

RICH MUISE

It's been a frustrating few weeks for me. What should be minor issues with my cars seem to be never-ending battles. To relive a few old posts:
 I couldn't get my NSRA23 inspection sticker in '21 because my e-brake wasn't working, and my mechanic working on the car thought it was due to gear oil getting on the pads. After a frustrating few months, finally got the differential seals and bearings replaced. Due to supply shortages, I could not find conventional 90 wt anywhere, so I opted to get him some multi-weight for the refill. Since then, I've had some strange noises coming from I-don't-know-where. Had all my joints greased.......didn't help. So, knowing my trac-loc was supposed to have only 90w conventional, I finally tracked down some and set the car up on jacks to get the fluid drained and refilled (that's when I talked to you, Jay). When I pulled that back wheel, I noticed grease on my rotor from the old caliper I had past issues with, but never replaced. So, good time to get that new one put on that I had bought last year. I've been two days now trying to get the lines bled so I've got some pedal! I've run a full quart thru the back rt. wheel, and still have bubbles coming out, though much less than when I started. Yesterday I was pretty much doing the one-man method, but today I've got my wife out there exercising her new knee replacement.
During all this, my daily driver decided it was time to act up. Got a cylinder missing. I had replaced the plugs and wires last fall, but it still had been idling rough/no change from the old plugs and wires. Read out of the check engine light said #3 cyl. misfiring. Next in line would be a new coil, so I got one and put it on with no change. Wiring issues aside, that should take care of the spark side, now on to the fuel supply. I ran injector cleaner twice thru the system with no change, so last night I ordered a set of injectors. Hope that does the trick. I don't trust it currently to take anywhere, and my '57 as mentioned..........urggg!!!!

RICH MUISE

YAY!!! I got brakes! Going for a test ride, lol!

Fairlane62

Did the brakes work?

RICH MUISE

Yeah, brakes work great, except e-brake still isn't holding. I'll try adjusting again. Also, most of the noise I was hearing has gone away, so my thinking it was from the wrong fluid for the trac-loc unit apparently was a good guess. I can still hear a faint similar noise at driveway speeds, but Jay had told me to find an empty parking lot where I could do 1/2 dozen tight circles CW then CCW to get rid of the noise......so I'll do that today.

I was hoping to do a car show in Rio Rancho, NM this weekend (Eric, are you reading this?), but between the '57 and my daily, I'm too broke! Urgg.

djfordmanjack

Absolutely true, Rich- I also have a LS 9"rear posi in the 34 sdn that Jay built and he gave me the same advice and the axle may sound strange when the car hasn't been driven in a long time or just straight forward on highway, so it appears the oil drains from the LS clutches and you can lube them by going a few tight circles each on a parking lot. works every time ! :001:

I also use conventional straight 90 weight.

CobraJoe

Rich, keep in mind Ford trac-Loc requires a 4oz. bottle of Friction Modifier.
When I was fourteen years old, I was amazed at how unintelligent my father was. By the time I turned twenty-one, I was astounded at how much he had learned in the last seven years!
'15 F150, '96 Bronco, '39 Ford Coupe, '17 Escape, '57 Fairlane

RICH MUISE

Thanks guys. Joe, mine is not a Ford unit, it is an aftermarket Yukon. When I checked 5 years ago, they said 90wt conventional, no additives.....I'll do some follow-up research.
I didn't get to do Jay's thing yesterday.......hard time finding an empty parking lot that doesn't have the concrete stops.