News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Trunk seal question!

Started by hotroddonnie, 2013-11-26 20:30

Previous topic - Next topic

hotroddonnie

I know some where there was a post on this. I've installed the new trunk seal and of course it's an effort closing the trunk....opening it's like a jack in the box! Is this something that gets better or is there a trick? HRD

Ecode70D

Donnie
     I'm having the same problem as you and I have to slam it so hard that I'm afraid I might damage something.   My trunk sure did fit nicely without the trunk seal.  Hope it gets better.
      Now  I'm just going to wait until summer before I install the door seals.
Jay

wildhog

HRD Just leave it closed it will better as it sits awhile.
JUST A MIDNIGHT CRUISE DOWN THUNDER ROAD (TOM DRUMMOND MIDWEST DIRECTOR)

wildhog

Jay,It may be better to do the door seals now and let them sit closed over the winter. The longer they set with pressure on them,the better they will be when you start driving the car in the spring.
JUST A MIDNIGHT CRUISE DOWN THUNDER ROAD (TOM DRUMMOND MIDWEST DIRECTOR)

hotroddonnie

Thanks for the advice Wildhog, I did close it and I will leave it, as for the doors that will be next, and it will a have lots of time to seat. like you said all winter!

hotroddonnie

I new I had read something Jay, well I guess we have the same bulging trunk lids.

hiball3985

My door seals were replaced by the previous owner and I've never been happy with the way the doors closed and I'm tired of fighting the adjustments and will probably replace them in the future. I think it's sad that so many venders don't have better quality control of their vendors. It gets old having to hammer to fit, weld shut and paint to match so many after market parts  :005:
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

Ecode70D

Tom... Thanks for that good advice.   The pressure on them should help.  I do know one thing for sure, I'm not going to open my trunk until spring time. 

Jim...  Give it lots of thought about replacing them.  If they are not  hard as a rock, try to come up with another idea.  I would hate to see you jump from the frying pan into the fire.  New trunk and door seals can be a real pain.

Jay

hiball3985

Jay,
These aren't hard, they are just too fat, have no idea where they came from. I'm going to try Carpenters, I know guys with trucks that have had the best luck with his. I've done door seals before without much of a problem.
JIM:
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

RICH MUISE

Door seals are definetly a problem. Too thick in some places, too thin in others. After I did my drivers door, after 2 weeks of only catching on the first click of the door latch, I finally got it to click on the second, left it there for another two weeks. Helped alot, but still have to slam the door. Yet, I can see daylight above the vent window where it's too thin. I haven't done the passenger door or my trunk seal yet.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

hiball3985

Rich, who did you get the seals from?
JIM:
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

hotroddonnie

My seals are Dennis Carpenter's, went out to the garage this morning to say good morning to my car before work.My trunk opened and closed a little better, and there is a grove in the seal from the lip. I think all will be good until I replace it in 2068!

RICH MUISE

Dennis Carpenter..not sure if anyone else makes them. I've never checked with the "Soft Seals" company that at least to run lots of ads...not even sure if they made '57 stuff. If they do, it would be interesting to find out how they work, their big thing being a softer material.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

hiball3985

Thank you Rich, I'm now thinking about trying the Steel Rubber product. I don't know if anyone has used them but they seem to have a good reputation.
JIM:
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

Zapato

Quote from: hiball3985 on 2013-11-27 16:26
Thank you Rich, I'm now thinking about trying the Steel Rubber product. I don't know if anyone has used them but they seem to have a good reputation.

I've used them in the past. Still made in the USA, unlike the others who are now outsourcing their product overseas. Complaints on Carpenters are staring to show up on the HAMB product failing in a few months. Profits trumping quality and reputation.

Zap- :unitedstates:
Zapato

Cruise low and slow.......Nam class of '72