News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

This is why I am into the 57 Ford

Started by Jerry Box, 2013-11-29 23:51

Previous topic - Next topic

Jerry Box

Here is a few pictures of my parents taking us on vacation. My dad had two 57 so when I decided to build a car I picked the 57. So I bought one drove it for a year. Did not like the way it handled so put on power disc breaks drop spindles from drop'em & stop'em. Was the perfect set up an easy to install. Then it was time for the Rick Wurth power rack and pinion steering and new tilt steering column. Then you need a B&M floor shifter. Then the transmission started to slip so I took it out to get it fixed. See some holes in the floor so take out the interior and find lot of rust so order new floor panels and start disassemble of the car going for a full frame off restoration.

hotroddonnie

Well this is a great site to belong to for questions and finding parts if you need. Wish my car was that nice when I started mine.

Jerry Box

My wife calls it the rust bucket. I hope it does not take me to long to get back on the road. Today I am going to make something to take body off. I was looking at Red Wings body lifts plans. I will take my material list to metal shop and see what it cost.

RICH MUISE

Jerry. Your car looks so good, I was surprised to see that it apparently had gotten just a cosmetic restoration. Very glad to see it fell in the right hands with the body off plans you've got for it. Looks like you've got plenty of working room also. Are you going to attempt to save the paint job, or will that be determined by what you find?
That's an awesome vintage shot with the family car.
Keep us updated with pics and info. Thanks for posting.....we all love to follow a build thread.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

RICH MUISE

btw, those pics give a whole new meaning to the title of this thread. LOL
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

wildhog

Great picture with the boat on top.
JUST A MIDNIGHT CRUISE DOWN THUNDER ROAD (TOM DRUMMOND MIDWEST DIRECTOR)

Jerry Box

That's the way it was when you went on vacation back then. Everything went on top of the car and in the trunk and away you go. Fun times.

GaryI72

That's a great old photo. There is a lot of useful info on this site.

57AGIN

Jerry Box:

Welcome aboard, & I agree with the others about the great car + boat photo.  Your floorboards look very similar to mine when I bought my 57.  Just a suggestion, don't forget to replace the cause of your rusted floorboards, the 2 thin rubber cowl vent tubes that drains the cowl area, through the inside of the car and out to the inside of the fender well.  That was one of the seemingly insignificant pieces of Ford engineering that led to lots of problems years later.  Of course, no one expected we'd still be driving our 57's half a century after they rolled out of the factory. 

Bob
57 AGIN

VwDrvFnd

Got any pics of the tilt column install?
I have a rust hole in my passanger side inner fender well, It's 58 years old what do you expect?

Jerry Box

Here are some photos of the steering column before I took the car apart. When I put it back together I will take a lot of photos. Right now I am building something to put the body on so I can start the frame.

gasman826

Just a thought...big wheels so you can roll around easier...like outside.

Jerry Box

Nice rotisserie, I just need to build something to get the body off the frame and will let me roll it around. And get it on a trailer to take it to the body shop. Because I can not do body work good enough for me. I have a question about the 2 thin rubber cowl vent tubes, I have not look at them to much yet. Is this the round pieces thin rubber on the side of the fire wall and are they supposed to be hooked up to the tubes under the dash? I guess I need to find a book on this old car. Are just keep taking pics and hoping someone is checking the website to help people like me. This is my first old car and I really want to do a nice job. I really appreciate all the help.

62galxe

That's the drains. They hook to the tubes inside. Without them the car fills with water. Car looks good. Like the old photo.

gasman826

If I had it to do over on a modified car, I'd fix that problem once and for all.  I think Rich and others have rebuilt those drains with a long lasting solution.  I think I would fix it with steel.