News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Nice 57 custom 300 4 door

Started by Ecode70D, 2013-12-07 15:09

Previous topic - Next topic

Ecode70D

Thanks to Rich, his right sun visor is going into this nice 4 door custom 300 that a friend of mine is working on.  He was extremely happy when I gave him the delete plate and thought that he would never find one after seeing the one in my car.
   The vehicle is running an FE engine with 4 speed transmission.     

hiball3985

Nice car, did he weld up the rear doors??
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

rmk57

Quote from: hiball3985 on 2013-12-07 15:12
Nice car, did he weld up the rear doors??

Looks like a 2-door to me.
Randy

1957 Ford Custom
1970 Boss 429

RICH MUISE

I'll let Jay fill you in on the details, but this car was a 4 door. Pretty amazing transition.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

BAMA_57

Okay, I gotta hear this.
'57 Fairlane 500
'69 Boss 302 Mustang
'70 Boss 302 Mustang
'77 F-100 Explorer

gasman826

I've seen it done a couple of times...even of tri five chevys.  The B pillar gets cut out.  Put in a two door pillar.  Hammer and dollie the skin around the pillar and weld in place.  The roof and floor is the same for 2dr or 4dr.  Hang longer doors and you have a two door.

hotroddonnie

Wow! Nice job, looks better then factory.

Ecode70D

I'm not sure if you guys want the long story or the short story, so I'll sort of cut out some of the unimportant stuff.

The owner left the 4 dr 57 custom 300  it in his sister's garage for 20+ years and was out of the state..  During that period of time his young nephews took  rocks and smashed all of the glass and damaged the surrounding stainless.  When he came to me, I had all of the glass and stainless that he needed, but he was not a hands on guy so nothing got done to it.  The car was totally rust/rot free. I was parting out a 58 4dr custom at the time to fix my 58.

My friend, the present owner  is a master body guy and has had his own shop for  years. He  decided that it had too many doors, but was happy that the body and floor was like new.

He bought a pair of two door doors that had the bottoms rotted out and made steel lower sections and repaired them and bolted them on the car.  Then he removed the rear doors and moved the B post back to where they lined up with the front doors.  Then he welded the relocated B post into place.

Then he took the skins off of the 4 dr rear doors, lined everything up and welded them on the back of the car.  Now he has a 2dr  car.

I went to his shop to look at the car and asked him what he was going to do with the inside back section because there were no window mechanisms in it yet. I told him that he should look at my car. He came over to my shop and looked at mine car and decided to make it similar to mine and make it into a custom and a business coupe.

He  bought a 2dr front seat and custom side stainless and is getting ready to get rid of the unnecessary custom 300 holes.  The 58 hood is also coming off and a stock 57 hood is going on to it.   I gave him  the front and rear window stainless and all of my original 70D back panels. He has my measurements and is going to make his own back tray like I did.  I told him to make a few of them.         

hiball3985

That is one talented body man.
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

Ecode70D

Gary   You hit the nail right on the head.  Obviously you've been around and this ain't your first rodeo.
Jim  Yes... This person is very talented.  I'm sure thankful that he painted my 57.  I'm not as good at painting as I used to be.  It's going to look nice with the Custom trim on the quarter panel.   

Here are some more pictures of the car.  Unfortunately I only took those four pictures at the time.  Right now the car is locked up in a storage box and was scheduled to go back  into his shop for 2 weeks during Christmas.  A huge job came in and got scheduled for that time slot, so the 57 will have to wait until after the new Year.

Next time I'll get pictures while he is working on it.  He never did tell me if he is going  with the same color or not but I suspect that he is going to do a two tone  and use a stock divider piece if he can find a pair.

Ecode70D

This is his parts car and the tractor frame is what he usually does.  He just finished building a beautiful cab for it and I forgot to take a picture .  A couple of weeks ago, that frame was just two rails.

BAMA_57

'57 Fairlane 500
'69 Boss 302 Mustang
'70 Boss 302 Mustang
'77 F-100 Explorer

Ecode70D

Quote from: BAMA_57 on 2013-12-08 16:41
I'm impressed.

Bama
    According to Gary Gasman  It's been done before . 
     I give a lot of credit to anyone that can do something like that and use OEM pieces . 
Jay

Boss/Cyclone

Really nice work.  I too have seen this done on trifive chevies a few times.  First time I personally have seen it done to a 57 Ford. 
57 Ford two door wagon
67 Shelby GT500 #2100 428, dual quads, 4speed
65 Cyclone drag car, 427, 4speed, ladder bars, etc.
64 Cyclone, Aztec Gold, 289, 4speed
66 Mustang GT fastback 347 5speed 4.22 gears
69 Mustang GT convertible 351 auto

Jeff Norwell

Jay.. your pal has the chops!..... incredible work!!!!
"Don't get Scared now little Fella"

1957 Ford Custom-428-4 speed
1957 Ford Custom 300-410-4 speed

http://www.norwell-equipped.com