News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

More questions! This time it's door seals.

Started by hotroddonnie, 2013-12-08 09:02

Previous topic - Next topic

Ecode70D

I'm using Carpenter and I taped them in place for a trial fit.   The left driver side works great and the right side is terrible.   What's going on?

HRD  I'm not going to glue them in just yet because the garage does not  warm up enough for the glue to work properly.   I may just tape them in and close the doors against them until spring time.   Hopefully they will take a set on their own.  It shouldn't hurt anything.

OOPS!  I hope Rich doesn't read this because I just told him that it's warm out here.  Looks like I got caught in a lie.

hotroddonnie

I've only done the drivers side, and its tuff to close, but I'm doing some other stuff on the car. I will tackle the other side some time next week. I am lucky to have a heated garage I wouldn't be half as far on this car if I didn't.

Ecode70D

Mine is heated also, but it's huge and it only gets to a comfortable 50.  It's still too cool for painting and spreading glue.

hotroddonnie

Well then I guess I should say I'm lucky enough to have a small garage that's easy to heat  :001:

hotroddonnie

What a difference 24 little hrs make! I'm down to one hand to close my door, yesterday it was two. Tomorrow it'll be my baby finger.

Ecode70D

I just got off the phone with Jeff and he told me about your door seals before I even had a chance to read it myself.
  Hope you're right and hope I'm that lucky.
       Show Off!!!

hotroddonnie

Just wishful thinkin Ecode70. I think it's gonna be a tuff close for a while. Having an extrusion lesson from Rich, I can say that on my seal it is tight right at the largest extrusion, just under were the front window wraps around. 

RICH MUISE

And after all that BS I threw at you about extrusions, I got to thinking I really misspoke on that. I really don't know what your instructions were talking about because the door seals are in fact probably not extrusions. An extrusion would be the same shape, size, crossection..whatever you want to call it...all the way around..just a rope, sort of speak, glued at the ends. these door seals vary in size and shape at different areas, if I remember without actually going and looking, so they must be moulded. It's posible I guess they are using an extrusion, then gluing (forgot the term for gluing rubber) added material in areas. Not trying to give another lesson...just clarifying what I mispoke about originally.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

hotroddonnie

Weather you misspoke or not Rich, in some way I feel smarter, and your not taking that away, I was an average kid in school rarely ever getting much more then a (B). So to you sir I say MR.

Ford Blue blood

Quote from: RICH MUISE on 2013-12-09 23:43
then gluing (forgot the term for gluing rubber) added material in areas.

vulcanize?
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

hiball3985

Quote from: Ford Blue blood on 2013-12-10 07:13
vulcanize?
That was my first thought also but I think vulcanizing requires heat ?
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

RICH MUISE

I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

Zapato

believe vulcanize is the process of curing rubber not cementing rubber. may be wrong but its what I remember Goodyear developing way back in the day.

Zap- :unitedstates:
Zapato

Cruise low and slow.......Nam class of '72

hotroddonnie

By the time this thread runs out....were all gonna be smarter!

hiball3985

Quote from: hotroddonnie on 2013-12-10 11:14
By the time this thread runs out....were all gonna be smarter!
YEP, real rocket science going on here  :003: Zap is right, and vulcanizing comes from the Greek God Vulcan the God of fire. I only know that from working at Vulcan Materials for a few years.
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang