News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

battery

Started by 57delivery, 2013-12-08 10:26

Previous topic - Next topic

57delivery

I wanted to stay with stock 29 stlye battery but I was told they only last about 3 years and are hard to get when on road. Les Schwab has one for $89.00 with 420cca. I was told that I would be better off getting a bigger tray and welding it on to the original mounting then I can get a bigger better longer lasting one. Has anyone ever tried that and does it look good. I have an older 302 V8 not computerised.

wv 57s forever

I got my battery from napa fits right in lots of cca could look if you need a number.

hiball3985

$89 is a good price but who makes the battery? I just the replaced mine which came with the car and was the wrong size for the tray with an Interstate 29NF and it was $140. On the road you can throw anything in there if you have to.
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

65kcode

If your not running it in cold weather, a stock size should spin that small block just fine.

Kevin

SkylinerRon

SkylinerRon

It's not the group # that makes one battery better. 29 is just the correct physical size for 57's. cca and warrantee make a battery yardstick.
Never use less than 550 cca.  $89. batteries are junk.
Group 27 is bigger and was optional in 57 but, it uses a .5" wider tray (B7A-B part #) usually found in a/c cars.
It is easy to widen the stock tray .5". look at yours and you will see how it tapers in.
Consider an OPTIMA battery, my first one lasted 14years.
Goodluck,
Ron.