News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Door Alignment

Started by whisper38, 2013-12-22 18:48

Previous topic - Next topic

whisper38

I know this has propbly been disussed before.The door alignment on my ranchero,is bad,there is no room to move it in any direction.The only thing I can see is loosen up the front fender bolts,and try to move them foward.Any other idea's out there,because the front and rear gaps are less than 1/16.

RICH MUISE

I've been told to get the doors correct then align the fenders to the doors...so it would seem like you're on the right track with your thinking..besides what other option would there be (assuming the doors haven't been modified)?
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

SkylinerRon

Why do you need more gap? 
It is very hard to get gaps that small. Somebody had to get them that small the factory never got less than 1/4" all around.
Some folks weld a bead around the doors to shrink the gaps. Maybe that was done to yours.
Goodluck,
Ron.

petew

You can also gain room for the front clip by moving the radiator support forward. There is just the single large bolt at the bottom center of the support.

whisper38

the reason I need more gap is the bottom front of the door is hitting the fender and chipping the paint.

SkylinerRon

To move the fenders forward there are 3 bolts on each side to loosen. 1 next to the hood bumper, 1 behind the kick panel and 1 at the bottom near the rocker.
Also loosen the bolt in the middle bottom of the core support.
Note where all the shims are.
You should be able move everything forward and retighten.

Goodluck,

Ron.

Limey57

I had similar problems, see here:  http://57fordsforever.com/smf/index.php?topic=4400.0

I put it down to everything being removed, including the body from the chassis and the skins from the doors, which was enough to put the doors slightly "out".  Enlarging the door bolt-holes slightly helped but I had to add some material to certain parts of the door edges and remove it elsewhere.
Gary

1957 Ranchero