News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Remain Free or become a Pay club again?

Started by JPotter57, 2008-01-06 12:54

Previous topic - Next topic

JPotter57

Before we go much further with this, we need to address this.  As many of you know, I am still reluctant to go back to receiving dues as opposed to being a free community.  I would rather take donations or at worst, pay myself to keep this site up.  Of course, the dues would go to keep this site up as well as provide awards for the three scheduled shows we intend to put on.  The newsletter will from this point forward be an internet download, and hopefully will be available by Jan 15 on our main site.  Most of you know how much work goes into these things, so I won't expound on this now.  I plan to do this monthly, and should be anywhere from 10-15 pages of full color every month.  You may download these and print them out, or just look at them online.  But for now, lets address the dues issue, and see where we go from there.

:deadhorse:
1957 Ford Custom 427 2x4 4 spd
Old, loud, and fast.

custom300fe

James I would vote for the dues for what we get out of the club it is little to ask, but I wouldn't want to force anyone out that uses the club very little or is on a very limited budget.
If you could post another choice in the vote for "donations" it would leave the option for those who wish to support the cost of the hosting. I know that the host you use "Bluehost" costs close to $100.00 a year.

JMO
Gerry

Custom 300 2dr
390 + 30
Edelbrock Heads
Ported Street Dominator, 750 DP
Crites 2" Long tube Headers
C-6
3:55 Trac-Loc

JPotter57

Thats fine, I fixed the poll.  I dont mind paying for the hosting.  I love keeping this site up, and modifying it, etc.  I have a new site almost ready to launch, so everyone will have to get over and check it out when I get it ready.  Hopefully in a week or so, I will have it ready.
Old, loud, and fast.

Frankenstein57

This site is very beneficial to my project, I'm for whatever it takes to get it done. There is something to be said for a persons time also. I like your picture gallery, nice work. On the upcoming shows, anything in the midwest?  thanks for all you have done, Mark

JPotter57

Ford Expo in Columbus, Ohio this year, Cruisin the Coast in Gulfport, Mississippi, and FFW in Fontana California.
Old, loud, and fast.

wolfpupsdad

i voted to stay free with donations, but personally have no problem with dues if it becomes a club other then online. tho the info from an online support can and is benifical to those that used it as i have.
theresa very unique oppitunity here and i think we need to take advantage of it.  i do think if we go to a paid dues not all this site should be open to all that visit it. just my 2 cents worth.

meteor

I voted for dues because I think the site is extremely beneficial and worth it. That being said, dues might make the group here too limited and scare people away who might have something to offer but don't want to pay. I think donations are great, maybe there are some creative ways to do this. Also, if there are dues to pay, rather than limit access to the site maybe we can think of special privileges for the paying members.

I'm a member on the H.A.M.B. message board (as I'm sure others from here are too) and there are a couple of neat ideas on that forum with regards to memberships and raising money. These are just up for discussion and brainstorming, I don't know how applicable or beneficial they would be with a small member base.

1. Auctions - Maybe have a separate section for this. Seller creates a simple post stating item up for auction (anything car related), includes photos, starting price if any and end date. If items are 'donated', we can encourage all proceeds go to this forum. Winner of the auction sends payment directly to James, when James has the dough the item gets shipped to the winner. The seller may cover shipping if desired or seller pays the shipping cost separately, I dunno. Obviously needs some more thought...

2. Memberships - the HAMB forum offers 'Alliance Memberships' which cost $50 for the year. You get a custom hand-stamped firewall tag with your username and there is a big list of 'Alliance Vendors' that offer discounts to 'Alliance Members'. I joined in December and saved 10% on my wheels and tires for the Ranchwagon from Coker (which paid for the membership and then some). Maybe we can do something similar on a smaller scale, ie. only members get the newsletter, maybe we can approach some Ford vendors for 'member' discounts, could be a special 'members' jacket for a special price (here's a jacket I did for my friend's online hotrod forum - http://www.canadianrodder.com/Stuff/jacket/member_jacket.htm), we could compile (if one doesn't exist already) a comprehensive list of 57 Ford vendors and contacts for 'members' to download.

3. Event Funds - could be a separate way to donate specifically to an event that you plan to attend, open to members and non-members. People can pay as little as they wish knowing it supports the event they will attend without paying dues or becoming a 'member'. Maybe if someone donates X-amount of dough they get a window sticker or t-shirt.

4. 57 Fords International merchandise - James can offer limited edition calendars, shirts, posters etc. for sale or auction. If we can generate enough buzz on this site then these items will become desirable and kind of collectors items. I know this artist guy who wouldn't mind contributing to this.

Anyway, just throwing some ideas out there...

Matt
check out my site: www.brightworkautoart.com

shopratwoody

Matt,
I think following some of their example is a good thing. Some of the auction items
bring pretty good money. That,s a good looking jacket you did for those guys.
Later, Ron
I hate blocksanding!

JPotter57

I agree Ron.  I think this is a good resource, and it all of it wouldnt be open to non members if we went back to dues.  Matt, that is definitely something to consider, as far as limited merchandising.  Where that would get sticky is producing revenue, taxes, and so forth.  I suppose I should look into incorporating the club if we go back to dues.  If we stay as we are, and accept donations or possibly a raffle or auction to offset the costs of the events, I believe we would be ok.  There is a lot to consider here, so any ideas, spit `em out.  The events awards and dash plaques weren't that bad the last year I did them, seems like maybe $225-250 for all of them.  But, all 3 of the events we want to do are within a couple weeks of each other.  Brainstorming........
Old, loud, and fast.

57AGIN

James:

As far as events out here on the West Coast (Southern Calif.), there are really two that are FORD specific events to pick from.  The opening show of the season, Knott's Berry Farm Fabulous Fords Forever show held each year in April and the Fun Ford Weekend this year being held in September. 

The Knott's show is put on by a Ford Car Club Council and we probably have enough potential club members and local participants to staff a table among the more formally organized local clubs.  Dash plaques for attendance (free) and club specific items shirts & jackets and other items with the club logos are typically sold by the various clubs.  However, since this event doesn't have trophy awards prestented, what was done in 2004 at the Fun Ford Weekend with club trophies being presented by the club to the best 57's in several categories would probably be frowned upon.  The only negative aspect of the Knott's show is that they do not allow separate club parking all 50 -59 Fords are parked together first come first parked. 

The Fun Ford Weekend, being both a car show and drag racing event had no restrictions on whatever the club wanted to do, in fact they were quite supportive of all our activities that year.  This years event was poorly set up for a club event and the car show parking was terrible.  At least part of the problem was that I didn't make contact with the event officials early enough to give input into their arrangements/setup.  But, in the future I feel certain we would be able to arrange in advance to place all the 57's together. 

So, at least out West I believe we have some options as to events to spread the club supported functions through out the year.

Bob
57AGIN

KidKourier

As far as paying dues I'll go with the flow, if we go with dues for members I think that members should have some privileges over non-paying,That way all can participate on site and at events.The ones that aren't sure if they want to join or can't afford it at the moment can be considered"Prospects". If a dues paying member you get a club jacket-- T-shirt(with logo on back and small logo on front with MEMBER below it)--and possible membership card and business cards with Club Logo to hand out to possible Prospects,etc. If non-member, you can get a Club Jacket and a members T-shirt when you join and become a dues paying member other wise you can get a T-shirt but will not say Member on front. Also at events everybody can participate together (the more the merrier!) and that way Prospects can get the feel of things and see if they want to become Members.In San Bernadino at Route 66 if you register for the event you get a T-Shirt that says Participant on front,other wise everybody else can get the exact same T-Shirt but it won't say Participant on it. Just some thoughts on the club thing! Gotta crawl before you walk! Thanks for readin'  SKIP

larryb346

I would pay dues but as the board owner I would want to know about the IRS and if you have to report this as income. If you could figure out how to perhaps limit access to some areas from non comtributing people. Would hate to see you get in a bind over the dues thing. By the way I am not on much but appreciate your board and all the  people on here.
Larry

57bracketracer

Hi James,
I think you should make a Paypal account if you do not already have one. Then roughly calculate the required money needed by the quarter for the website, trophies and what ever other ideas or materials you need to make the club exciting and growing. Post this number on the main page  so it is viewable by all, easily and keep it updated when Paypal sends you an email of a donation. I know from past experience that most of the work in clubs, lodges, churches is done mainly by 20% of the membership. Lots of club members are casual members, do not see the value they get from casual participation but could make a small Paypal donation from time to time while they are on the club site reading the more active members projects, rides, engine rebuilds, sort of pay because it was good info they just picked up. Simple, easy and not required will get more results from members perhaps.  Plus no irs to get in the way of having fun.

Bob Lewis     57bracketracer@comcast.net

http://home.comcast.net/~robert.lewis23/ 

Fairlane500Ron

Hi James

I too would like to see the site remain "Free" to everyone
with the option to donate for it's upkeep.
Paypal is one good way but should not be the only option.

I think a modest donation each year or 6 months is a good option.
but this should only be used to support the club's web site.

I don't feel these donations should be used to pay for awards, trophies, plaques,T-Shirts and etc  for the event participants.
this should come from the event registration fees.
Most of us can't or don't attend any of the events.
And.....I personally don't need a T-Shirt or any reward for a donation.

But....FYI
The club's new LOGO can be digitized to use on an embroidery
machine (.PES) and other type for $47 from a man in England
that does this. I'll give you his contact info if needed.

T-Shirts, & etc could be "for sale" if someone wanted to purchase.
But again there's that IRS thingy

Just my thoughts.

Keep up the good work

Ron