News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Console

Started by 62galxe, 2014-01-16 13:34

Previous topic - Next topic

62galxe

What year tbird consoles fit. Looking at a 65 and it doesn't look easy. Was told tbird and galaxie. Galaxie looks easy. Stops at heater box. Tbird wraps around and ties to bottom of dash. Looked at a star liner at the last show. Was told it was a tbird console but it was flat at the firewall like a galaxie.  Thinking buckets and console for my wagon. Not many pics out there.

Zapato

I'll be using 65 Bird seats and console in my car, console goes up at front and will need work to graft to whatever dash I end up using. Not sure you will find any console that will not need some modification.

Zap- :unitedstates:
Zapato

Cruise low and slow.......Nam class of '72

Frankenstein57

I've been looking at several t-bird consoles, I have several from newer cars and they don't look right in the 57. But like zap said, almost any will need some mods. I will probably use an under dash ac , 60's ford like I did in the 58. This may help the transition. Anyone know if the tunnels are different on an automatic car to a stick?   Mark

RICH MUISE

Everyhing I know tells me there would be no difference between an automatic '57 tunnel and a manual...wouldn't make sense from a production standpoint. I don't believe EMS sells two tunnels either, which kinda verifies my thoughts on that.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

62galxe

I think the galaxie console would work with underdash air. Saw this setup in a 60 starliner. owner said console was thunderbird but it was flat like the galaxie. I think it will look good in my wagon. Wish I could come up with cheaper ideas.  ;D

Frankenstein57

Rich, only reason I asked was I cut a section out of my old floor to clear the T-5, it doesn't seem to lay on the current floor. Looks different.  Mark

alvin stadel

I used a console and buckets from a 63XL. easy install and looks great. The biggest problem I had was matching the C4 shift linkage to the console dial pattern.

RICH MUISE

Quote from: Frankenstein57 on 2014-01-16 18:44
Rich, only reason I asked was I cut a section out of my old floor to clear the T-5, it doesn't seem to lay on the current floor. Looks different.  Mark
seems odd, 57 to 58 difference?

RICH MUISE

Quote from: alvin stadel on 2014-01-16 20:29
I used a console and buckets from a 63XL. easy install and looks great. The biggest problem I had was matching the C4 shift linkage to the console dial pattern.
Got a pic? or did you have trouble posting one..I noticed the big blank space under your text.

gasman826

'65 Thunderbird mock-up

hiball3985

58 tunnel may be different then the 57 for the cruis-O-matic trans behind the FE ?
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

Ecode70D

Quote from: RICH MUISE on 2014-01-16 18:41
Everyhing I know tells me there would be no difference between an automatic '57 tunnel and a manual...wouldn't make sense from a production standpoint. I don't believe EMS sells two tunnels either, which kinda verifies my thoughts on that.

I have to agree with Rich 100%.   With 50 + years of swapping transmissions from automatic to standard and vice versa,  I have never found a difference in the size of the transmission tunnel. 

Frankenstein57

The floors I am comparing are both 57's, my 58 is bone stock.

hiball3985

Quote from: Frankenstein57 on 2014-01-17 21:40
The floors I am comparing are both 57's, my 58 is bone stock.
That's puzzling, like everyone said all the 57's should be the same..
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

Ecode70D

I can't figure it out also.  Sometimes panels can change a little depending how they were removed.