News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Saw this 57 Custom on the freeway today in SoCal...

Started by robhaerr, 2014-01-21 19:12

Previous topic - Next topic

robhaerr

On the 210 Freeway westbound around Claremont, CA today (Tues Jan 21)...anyone here?

Frankenstein57

Probably thinks you were the NSA, taking pics

Ecode70D

It's beautiful.   That's the way they used to look in the old days.

hiball3985

I haven't seen that one in my travels. I wish there was some way to find out exactly how many are still out there..
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

clusterbuster

Has the California rake like my sedan has. Don't particularly like the rake as it changes the front wheel caster among other things. Will reverse my shackles later this year.

RICH MUISE

Isn't reversing the shackles going to give you the rake you don't want, or are they already reversed, and your going to reverse-the-reverse (Change them back)?
I'm not sure a lowered front end gives the same handling problems raising the rear does. I guess I'll be finding out. Way back in the 60's when I had a '58 Fairlane, I reversed the shackles...huge mistake...road racing doesn't like the higher rear ends too much. Took about a week to figure that out and put them back where they were. My friends dad, said "I told you so". LOL.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

65kcode

Isn't it amazing how smart our friends' dad's were? lol

Kevin

Ecode70D

Reversing the shackles has a tendency to make the back part of the leaf spring sag downward instead of the usual upward shape.  If it's reversed for a long time, the only way to fix the leaf springs is to rebuild them.

clusterbuster

Yes Rich, I am going to reverse the reverse. I had the car shipped to me from Michigan and didn't notice the rear end hike in the pictures before I bought it. That didn't really matter because I will just do the reverse when I get to it. Too many other things to do right now. This car should make me a nice sedan cruiser.

clusterbuster

Here is a picture of my raked up sedan a few days after it was shipped to me back in 2012. Haven't posted any pictures yet, so hope it works.

RICH MUISE

That's a great looking car...glad you "finally" got around to posting a pic. Is the rest in as good a shape as the outside?

clusterbuster

Thanks Rich. Looks are deceiving. Just about every part of that car needed some attention from replacing most of the floor panels, 2 window glasses, vent glass, fuzzies, channels, windshield, headliner, seat upholstery, painted dash and all inside metal trim, inner and outer rocker panels, half of each quarter panel plus inner wheelhouses, under side of hood rusted through where hood meets upper grille panel, trunk floor outer sections, fabricated spare tire well, plated inner and outer trunk edge at the emblem section, rebuilt the trunk lid hinge attaching points on both sides of the lid, did the complete under side of hood and painted the engine compartment. Many other things as well. Just tried to post 2 more pictures and it said the size was too big. Will send some singles until I find out how to get more than one on.

RICH MUISE

Ouch!!  I'm amazed at how many cars the members are posting about that look great, but...

Do you need help/info on resizing your pics? There's a 4 biggibite total size limitation per post, so to post 4 pics, they need to be 1 or less.

clusterbuster

Thanks Rich. Will look into that in the near future.

hiball3985

I remember in my high school days in the early 60's reversing shackles was the quickest, cheapest mod you could do and everyone did it  :003: and then people started painting the bottom of the gas tanks white.
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang