News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

L.A. Roadster show

Started by wildhog, 2014-01-23 16:47

Previous topic - Next topic

wildhog

I heard there was a crash today in the main room at the L.A. roadster,and my first thought was .What has Jeff Norwell done now?
I hope kieth can keep him in line!
JUST A MIDNIGHT CRUISE DOWN THUNDER ROAD (TOM DRUMMOND MIDWEST DIRECTOR)

BWhitmore

I think the show is the Grand National Roadster Show at the Fairplex in Pomona.  The LA Roadster Show is held on Father's Day weekend.

wildhog

Yes, Sir you are right it is the Grand National, to us country boys any thing west of Nev. is L.A.
JUST A MIDNIGHT CRUISE DOWN THUNDER ROAD (TOM DRUMMOND MIDWEST DIRECTOR)

Ecode70D

Quote from: wildhog on 2014-01-23 16:47
I heard there was a crash today in the main room at the L.A. roadster,and my first thought was .What has Jeff Norwell done now?
I hope kieth can keep him in line!

Is that where Jeff is now?  He sure moves around.

Limey57

I heard about that yesterday, that could have turned out real nasty.....  Cars can be repaired but human beings aren't quite as restorable.  Having a throttle jam open is scary, only ever had it happen once, fortunately it was on a manual car so I just dipped the clutch and braked then switched off the ignition, but by the time your brain has realised what's happening and you then react you can cover a big distance.
Gary

1957 Ranchero

Ecode70D

Quote from: Limey57 on 2014-01-24 02:29
I heard about that yesterday, that could have turned out real nasty.....  Cars can be repaired but human beings aren't quite as restorable.  Having a throttle jam open is scary, only ever had it happen once, fortunately it was on a manual car so I just dipped the clutch and braked then switched off the ignition, but by the time your brain has realised what's happening and you then react you can cover a big distance.

When that happens it can scare you to death.  I was driving a 49 Plymouth and the gas pedal got stuck to the floor.  I did the same thing.  I stepped on the clutch and turned the engine off.
     You are right.  Cars can be replaced.  I hope and pray that the person recovers well.   

57AGIN

Jeff:

I'm still going to try to hook up with Jeff Norwell at the GNRS.  I'll be there this Saturday.  Here is my phone number, please give me a call.  Also any other local members, let's try to hook up this weekend.  My 57 won't be done in time to drive it to the show, we found one of the brand new Kelsey-Hayes rear brake calipers had a casting flaw that went thru and thru one end.  I'm exchanging it tomorrow.  The entire rear end under the car has been cleaned, primed (Rustoleum Red Oxide) and painted (Rustoleum Satin Black) and is back together except for the brakes and emergency brake cables (the originals won't work with the disc brake calipers).  I'm having a new set made by a local company.

(562) 716-9601

Thanks,
Bob
57 AGIN

robhaerr

I am going to try yo head over there today or tomorrow.

I need some new Rat Fink t-shirts!

Frankenstein57

In many years of racing dirt tracks, I had a stuck throttle once. A Friend asked me to shake down his new car at practice, he built a brand new roadrunner with a bunch of 440 in it. This car was fast right off the trailer, it had power steering which was new to racecars in the 70's.  The car had a mirror in it, I was holding off the track champ and another top 5 car. When the track is good, you drive em pretty deep into the corners, well it stuck and before I could think I was in the fence, dam that hurt

57AGIN

Guys:

Looks like I missed Jeff Norwell at the GNRS on Saturday.  I stopped over at the Galpin Ford display tent to see if they were interested in being a Sponsor at the 2014 Knott's Show in April.  But I forgot to ask about Jeff while there.  He never called me on my cell phone and I didn't have a number for him.  Sooner or later we'll hook up, maybe when and if I can ever travel East.  I took 50 some odd photos at the show,  I'm pretty sure Fords only.  Just a couple of 57's were on display, but that isn't unusual out here.  The Galpin Gasser was displayed in the Race Cars building, it is an impressive Small-block Ford powered car.  There were lots of pretty Fords and many of them with the big modular motors for power.

Here are a few photos I took at the show. The 1st is a nice, but nothing special 57 Del Rio wagon.  The 2nd is of a beautiful 61 Starliner that I've seen racing out here on the West Coast at a Fun Ford Weekend. The last one is of the Galpin Gasser.  Enjoy

Bob
57 AGIN

57AGIN

Here are a few more photos from the GNRS.  The 1st is of a Studebaker powered by a fuel injected Edsel motor (the only one know to be in existence)  I just took this photo to show the extreme detail some guys go to with some very odd combinations.  The next is of a really beautiful coupe 427 FE powered.  The 3rd one is of a beautiful roadster actually in the process of being judged (look closely behind the right front tire).  The 4th is of a beautiful 57 T-Bird parked outside in the Day-of-Show area, with an unusual blower setup.

Bob
57 AGIN

Jeff Norwell

Bob, Fellas.
I just got back last night, Very long trip.Bob,I am sorry we did not hook up,Using my phone for Texting,calling,Data Roaming,etc,etc, was very expensive.So I used my pal Chuck's Phone to make most of my calls.Internet was $10 a day at the hotel, after being there for 6 days,forget about it. too expensive to use there WiFi.

So Bob,very sorry.

The show was good,Just as big and bloated as Detroit,But more of a HotRod show as where detroit is more Muscle car based(if that makes any sense)Saturday was the best with the outdoor cars and such.
The weather was just fine.60-75 degrees and lovely. As compared to being home here near HotRodDonnie,our county is under a "state of emergency"
Damn Wussies.

About that accident.
I was not there on the day, and all was cleaned up when I arrived Thursday.I have to agree with Promoter John Buck, that the reporting and "media glee" was tacky.
Damn Straight it was.A judge was hurt badly,the owner /driver was hurt and shaken up, and a car(very very nice car) was totalled.

Anyhow, the show was good,did biz and saw many friends.
Back to the bricks.
"Don't get Scared now little Fella"

1957 Ford Custom-428-4 speed
1957 Ford Custom 300-410-4 speed

http://www.norwell-equipped.com

robhaerr

I was there on Saturday, went by myself for a couple of hours, got there about 11:00.

Bob...I took much the same photos! Even that green T-bird and nearly the same angle for the Galpin Gasser. The 57 Ford Ranch Wagon was right near the Rat Fink tshirt booth.

I love that there is not a glut of 57 Fords. There was a Ranchero or 2, I think.
I did not have a bunch of time, so I did some speed-viewing, bought 3 Rat Fink t-shirts and got back home for the honey-do list. My mom hated Rat Fink tshirts when I was a kid...so enjoying them now to torment my wife. She had some choice things to say about the "Garage" shirt...priceless as my wife can resemble the She-Devil.

I kept an eye out for Jeff Norwell...but in my haste, did not find him at the show...dang.

I have never seen a dragster with headlights like that...wish that girl would get out of the way...

Rob

hiball3985

Rob,
I remember those mother hated T-shirts. I haven't worn one in years but I still find myself using it in some of the graphics I do, always been a favorite and I don't even surf  :003:
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang