News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

FE Hedman headers

Started by 59meteor, 2014-02-18 18:11

Previous topic - Next topic

59meteor

I see that Hedman lists a header setup for a 390-428 FE engine in a 55 thru 59 Ford passenger car. Has anybody here ever tried these headers, or even seen a set in person? I am kinda interested in a set for my 59, but would appreciate any input, if anybody has any.
1959 Meteor 2 door sedan , 428 Cobra Jet 4 speed. Been drag racing Fords (mostly FEs) 47 years and counting.
Previous 50s Fords include 57 Custom 4 door, 2 57 Ford Sedan Deliveries, 59  Country Sedan, and as a 9 year old, fell in love with the family 58 2 door Ranch Wagon.

rmk57

I haven't personally seen a set but at $700.00 from Summit I'd be looking at the FPA's instead. Crites makes a set for about half the price. The fit is really good although the four front tubes do hang low, about 4 inches with a 28 inch tall tire.
Randy

1957 Ford Custom
1970 Boss 429

57AGIN

59meteor:

I don't have any experience with FE's and Hedman headers.  But the set of Hedman's I had on my 65 Mustang, back in early 1965 gave me 1/2 second and 7 mph improvement at the drags.  Photo of the engine compartment shows we really didn't give a darn how it looked, just how it ran. lol

Bob
57 AGIN

rmk57

Cool photos! Is that Lions drag strip?
Randy

1957 Ford Custom
1970 Boss 429

JPotter57

My friend Joe Gerardi has a set on his Custom.  He said they bolted on easily, no real hassles.  I have seen them in person and they look good.  Problem is, they are not I  stock and if you order them it will be several months before you get them.  Joe got his when they were still readily available.  It's a good part...too bad they don't keep them in stock.
1957 Ford Custom 427 2x4 4 spd
Old, loud, and fast.

57AGIN

rmk57:

Yes, that was Lions Drag Strip.  I've still got all my timing slips from Lions.  When I get them out and look at them I can see that on a given Saturday or Sunday I'd get as many as 15 runs on the car.  Lots of time trials early, then the class eliminations.  Because of the class I was in G/SO F-6 (G Stock Optional, Formula 6 meaning 280 to 300 cubic inches, single quad, hydraulic lifters) there were lots of cars in the class.  Nova's, Camero's, Studebaker Lark's, Mustangs, Falcon's, etc. so eliminations could result in 6 or 7 runs.  Lots of good memories.

Bob
57 AGIN

59meteor

JPotter57, how are your buddys Hedman FE 57 Ford headers for ground clearance, and is his car an automatic or manual trans? I am curious how they would be for clearing clutch linkage. And did they point at the trans crossmember, or go above or below?
I am aware of the FPA headers, and I have known Stan Johnston at FPA for over 30 years, but I would prefer a full length 4 tube header. I am also aware of the Crites headers, but the lack of ground clearance concerns me. I know guys who have modified headers for a 67-70 Mustang/Cougar, or headers for a 66-69 Fairlane/Comet. The Fairlane headers have similar ground clearance issues as the Crites, and either have issues with the collectors aiming right at the trans crossmember.
1959 Meteor 2 door sedan , 428 Cobra Jet 4 speed. Been drag racing Fords (mostly FEs) 47 years and counting.
Previous 50s Fords include 57 Custom 4 door, 2 57 Ford Sedan Deliveries, 59  Country Sedan, and as a 9 year old, fell in love with the family 58 2 door Ranch Wagon.

JPotter57

Ground clearance appears to be good.  I have a side shot of the car somewhere, when I find it I will post it.  I dont think you can see them hanging down.  His car is an automatic, and I am not really sure of the compatibility with clutch , z bar, fork etc. Look at Hedmans website, it should have footnotes saying if it will work with manual trans.  I tend to think it will but with floor shift only.
Old, loud, and fast.

JPotter57

By the way,  yes, the trans crossmember is a problem.  I fixed mine with a late crown vic crossmember grafted into the old brackets.   Bolts in like stock but has double humps to clear the exhaust.
Old, loud, and fast.

Jeff Norwell

Great info on the crossmember James.
"Don't get Scared now little Fella"

1957 Ford Custom-428-4 speed
1957 Ford Custom 300-410-4 speed

http://www.norwell-equipped.com

57AGIN

James:

Rick did a similar thing on my trans cross member, but did it to work with the original frame mounting and the much longer TKO 600.

gasman826

sliced up a piece of box tubing to make the hump for exhaust.

Jeff Norwell

Sorry to Hi Jack. really good info here on the crossmember.On my build i will be using my Hedmans from 61-62.Not as efficient as the new units,I really don't care.
Bob,I see your using a aftermarket Bell housing..I plan on using a factory FE unit,I am trying to get a bead on a measurement on extending the trans mount to accommodate a TKO.
maybe this has been posted before.Just trying to make sure.

57AGIN

Jeff:

The Bell Housing is made by Lakewood,  I bought it back when I was bolting up my 351W to a BW T-10.  It worked well for the TKO 600, too.

Gasman:  Heck of a nice job strengthening your frame.

Bob
57 AGIN

Jeff Norwell

Quote from: 57AGIN on 2014-02-21 00:47
Jeff:

The Bell Housing is made by Lakewood,  I bought it back when I was bolting up my 351W to a BW T-10.  It worked well for the TKO 600, too.

Gasman:  Heck of a nice job strengthening your frame.

Bob
57 AGIN

Thanks Bob,great info.
Yea Gary,super trick frame,Bullet proof!