News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

FE Hi Torque Starter

Started by Dan Marx, 2008-01-11 11:35

Previous topic - Next topic

Dan Marx

OK Folks
I have a 57 Ford with a 390 FE in it.  The engine is 0.030 over with a mild cam.  However, when the enfine warms up, it will not crank.  Charging system is fine.  I am told a late model 1992 gear reduction starter will solve my problem.  I could by a High Touque from Summitt, but there is $150.00 difference with the late model gear reduction starter.  All comments accepted.
Thanks
dan
dlmarx@bellsouth.net

shopratwoody

Dan,
I don,t think you need a gear,reduction starter or a high torqe one either. IMO you either
have to much advance,weak starter or not enough cranking power (amps) in the battery.
I'd start with the timing.How much compression does it have? If the battery is up front by
the engine 800 amps should work. If it's in the back-1000amp with good cable should work.
Lots a variables.
good luck, Ron :burnout:
I hate blocksanding!

Dan Marx

Thanks for the info.  Timing OK, 10 deg BTDC.  Has a mild cam.  Battery is 675 amps.  I will get a better one. 
Dan

fomocochoptop

Are you running Headers- Maybe theres too much heat-
Also would be a good idea to check the Cables that are being used maybe try replacing them and putting a heat Sleeves.

4banger

I have a Power Master high torque starter and a 800cca battery and together they work tremendous. Battery is located in the rear. I had the same trouble with my 427 till I made the change. Will start at any temp.

JimNolan

Dan,
   I went through three batteries before I found out that the ground cable I had hooked to a exhaust manifold bolt was the problem. It would be OK when it was cold and wouldn't crank when it was hot. Problem was, the heated bolt either came loose when heated or caused too much resistance. When cold, everything contracted and supported a good connection. The battery that I run shows 650 CCA on the napa meter.
Jim Nolan
390ci 300 HP
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.

ranchero57

Hi other than the things mentioned by the other guys ,make sure your battery is grounded to the engine and also the frame.Ranchero57(campy)

Ford Blue blood

Check the bushing in the snout.  Often the starter will drag when hot but function and spin well when cold.  If the bushing has a little wear on it just flip it over and it will be like new for a little while.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II