News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Electric antenna

Started by Ron, 2014-03-04 15:23

Previous topic - Next topic

Ron

I want to install an electric antenna on my Ranch Wagon that will fully retract when off, and that I can operate from a toggle switch under the dash (I don't want the antenna to extend or retract when the ignition is turn on/off).  Can anyone recommend a brand name of a good, reliable antenna like this?  Thanks, Ron

BWhitmore

Hirschmann Electric antennas are quality.  Used on Mercedes. I have several if you need the dimensions.  They are normally  operated by a 3 position switch - down, mid way and fully extended.  When the key is off they are all the way down.  When the switch is in the down position the antenna will not extend.

Ron

Thanks for that info on the Hirschmann antenna.  Question: what is the model number of the one you described with the 3-way switch?  Thanks, Ron

BWhitmore

Model:Auta 6000U.  The body of the antenna is 12" x 4" x 2".  This antenna uses a chrome bezel and nut.  The bezel uses a rubber gasket that fits next to the fender (about a 1" hole).  You would need to get a matching electrical plug from a wrecked 300d Mercedes.  The 3 way switch is easy to acquire.  The body of the antenna is all metal and has a mounting brace on the bottom and a water drain tube (plastic).  Most of these antennas are 30+ years old.  They can be rebuilt by Becker Audio in New Jersey for around $150.  You can get a plastic body Hirschmann - not as reliable, but they are available. 

Ron

Thanks for all that great info!  Ron...