News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

302 5 speed trans mount??

Started by greaseball, 2008-01-17 15:38

Previous topic - Next topic

greaseball

Hello!
Just posted my intro in the "general discussion", and now it's right down to business!
I've got my 5.0 motor set in with the mustang mounts, got a flex fan for the radiator clearance, and now I'm curious about the trans mount and driveline?
I'm guessing I'll just have to measure everything at the local yard to find something that fits, but I'm curious if anyone can save me some time, point me in the right direction as to what I should be looking for??
I read on here late 60's galaxy trans mounts work for the AOD, would that also work for a manual trans?
Perhaps a ford van is a good donator???
I've been considering just welding up attachments and using the mustang trans mount, but the frame is so much wider on the ford I'm concerned it would get "squirelly" on me...
Any help would be MUCH appreciated, I'd like to be driving this beast ASAP!!!
  :burnout:

fomocochoptop

I would Mock it up and check to see wheere the Trans mount bolt holes would be, you may just have to drill new holes on the Trans cross member for relocation. Do you haved the Drive shaft that came with the Drive train Conversion?

greaseball

Okay, so I have the trans bolted to the motor in the car, 

But I have NO transmission mount at all,
not even have the option of using the original...?

As far as "drive train conversions", yes, I still have the driveshaft, but it appears to be a few feet to short (mustang donor)...?

So I'm thinking there must be some model of ford that had the "same" combination of parts somewhere through the years,
Be it from a van, truck, whatever;

Has this been covered???

Where can I buy "the list"?
("ford interchange parts manual")

Thanks!

Ford Blue blood

I put a 302/EFI 5 speed in a 66 Falcon Ranchero.  The stock 66 drive shaft fit perfect.  Get a stock 57 trans cross member and see where the bolt holes line up.  Might be all you have to do is ellongate the holes.  Might be the 57 shaft will fit into the later tranny, if not if you have the stock 57 drive shaft measure the yoke bearing diameter and spacing on the engine end and the same for the late yoke and hit NAPA with the numbers.  They have a book that converts the dimensions to a part number.  All sorts of different combos are possible!
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

greaseball

Thanks ford blue blood, that's an enormous help!
Just got another stock cross member, still gotta strip it and repaint it (etc)-