News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Glove box emblem attachment

Started by jseth83, 2014-03-23 08:49

Previous topic - Next topic

jseth83

What is the proper way to attach the glove box emblem?  This has got to be simple but it keeps falling off and driving me nuts.  I need to do it right before I lose it.... on a positive note, if I'm working on cosmetic issues and not something that might leave me on the side of the road, then that's a good sign right?
57 wagon, sedan, and TBird 
67 Mustang

JimNolan

Mine has a clip on the stud. Best I remember it was in a place that's hard to get to but once it's on it's there to stay. It's just a push on metal clip. As far as reliability issues are concerned the front end is highly susceptible to change. I can change wheels and tires (different sizes and back spacing and my steering wheel won't be centered). So figure out what you want to run on the front and after alignment, stick with it. I also found out the each component of the steering linkage is directly proportional to steering play in the wheel. The least little bit of play in the linkage will have big effects on the steering wheel. If your rear wheel bearings haven't been changed since you owned the car, change them, take my word for that. Also the A-arm bushings have a big effect on alignment and steering. The front end has the most effect on how much you enjoy driving the car. My take.
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.

jseth83

Thanks Jim.  That makes sense, I need to find a clip then.  Probably in my old boxes somewhere. 
I have just gone through my A-arms recently and it did make a big difference.  I still have to go through the rear end but the bearings on my mustang went out and I actually rebuilt another 57 rear to put in it, and just finished with that (I had to change the ratio to work with the Mustang's overdrive).  Anyway thanks again and I'll keep working on the front end.
67 Mustang

Ecode70D

Quote from: JimNolan on 2014-03-23 11:03
Mine has a clip on the stud. Best I remember it was in a place that's hard to get to but once it's on it's there to stay. It's just a push on metal clip.

Jim
     Is there a chance that you might post a picture of the inside of your glove box door so I can see where the stud and clip is in relation to the access hole inside the glove box door?
Thanks in advance Jay

jseth83

Thanks Jim, I dug around, found the clip, and now I'm good to go.  It looks like the clips that retain brake lines so I had set it aside thinking that's what it was.  I feel kind of stupid now.  I just left town for a few days but at least I got a couple of things done.
67 Mustang

JimNolan

Best I remember the lock has to be taken off just to see back in between the layers of metal. I think I used a long thin screw driver and worked the clip down on the stud little by little. Good luck.

Ecode70D

Quote from: JimNolan on 2014-03-23 22:26
Best I remember the lock has to be taken off just to see back in between the layers of metal. I think I used a long thin screw driver and worked the clip down on the stud little by little. Good luck.

Thanks Jim
     I need to go out and take another look.  I also have not drilled the holes yet.
Jay   

wildhog

Jay, I think they were talking about the crest that goes around the button that opens the glove box.
JUST A MIDNIGHT CRUISE DOWN THUNDER ROAD (TOM DRUMMOND MIDWEST DIRECTOR)

Ecode70D

Quote from: JimNolan on 2014-03-23 22:26

Jim.... I took a good look at the the glove box door today and I see what you mean about taking the lock off to get in between the layers of metal to get the clip on.

Tom wildhog... Would you please email or post the measurements again for where to drill for the Special emblem.  I can't find them.  Thanks Jay

JimNolan

Maybe you can get an idea from this.

Ecode70D

Jim
     That gives me a good idea.  I'm going to make a cardboard template from the crease so I can lay it out before I drill a hole.   In your picture it looks like the red paint starts at the crease. 
     What is the measurement from the start of the red paint (crease) to the top uppermost part of the wing tips?
     That would be a real big help.  Thanks  Jay

Jeff Norwell

Hey Guys.I am getting ready to drill my glovebox as well,Jim, can you give me the measurement from the red crease to the top of the wings on the Emblem?
Many Many Thanks!
Jim,Another question!, in the picture shown,Is that an original installation of the emblem or did you do it yourself?
"Don't get Scared now little Fella"

1957 Ford Custom-428-4 speed
1957 Ford Custom 300-410-4 speed

http://www.norwell-equipped.com

JimNolan

Quote from: Jeff Norwell on 2014-03-28 10:37
Hey Guys.I am getting ready to drill my glovebox as well,Jim, can you give me the measurement from the red crease to the top of the wings on the Emblem?
Many Many Thanks!
Jim,Another question!, in the picture shown,Is that an original installation of the emblem or did you do it yourself?
The emblem came with the car. You'll find all the early 57's (1956 build dates) will have that emblem. I'm going out to the hanger tomorrow so I'll get a measurement for you. Jim

Jeff Norwell

"Don't get Scared now little Fella"

1957 Ford Custom-428-4 speed
1957 Ford Custom 300-410-4 speed

http://www.norwell-equipped.com

JimNolan

I drove it 50 miles today and forgot to get the measurements. I'll get it tomorrow. Sorry