News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

4 Bbbl. Carburetor for 292

Started by Fairlane500, 2014-03-26 00:04

Previous topic - Next topic

Fairlane500

I just purchased a Ford intake manifold (ECZ 9425B) and was wondering what would be the best carburetor to install.  The engine is a 292 with a Fordomatic.  It doesn't need to be period correct, just good performance and trouble free.  I will be installing dual exhausts and a petronix ignition.  Maybe a mild cam, but that will come later.  I was thinking about using a 450/500/CFM Holly.  What have you found that works best?

lowrider

You'll get a bunch of answers on this. I built mine with a few goodies (Jahns pistons, good sized Comp cam, ported,shaved G heads) and tried a couple carbs on it. I put a 600 Holley on it and it runs liked a raped ape. Also tried a 4100 Autolite (w/a homemade secondary on it) and it runs and idles good. I'm not a big fan of Carter/Edelbrock carbs so I haven't tried one of those. Going with your statement "good performance and trouble free" I would go with the Autolite 4100. That's the one I ended up running. Been on there over a year and has given "good performance and trouble free". All that said, I'm working on a 3x2 set up for it now. Just can't leave things alone. Won't run as good or be trouble free, but it sure will look cool.

hiball3985

Agreed, a 4100 Autolite or small 500 Holley is all you will ever need on a 292. I'm using a 480cfm Holley, electric choke, vacuum secondaries which is actually an off road carb and it runs flawlessly..
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

Ford Blue blood

+2 on the 4100....500 CFM Holley great second choise.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

57 Ford Kustom

+3, Tom S talked me into a Autolite 4100, and I love it. I got the 1.08 venture version instead of the more common 1.12, I think the 1.08 is a 390 cfm carb.
Tim :unitedstates:
aka:Bluedot Kid 2
To fast to live, to young to die.

sprink88

I have the Autolite too. But I am kind of a Holley guy.

The Autolite is maintenance free though. Nice carb.
~Chris

Frankenstein57

I had a 4100 on my 292, it had a dead spot on the bottom. Like accelerating off of a turn, we rebuilt it and still had the problem. I got a newer looking holley 600 for nothing, and a $30 rebuild kit = problem solved. We did change the jets and squirters to fit the car better. I figured if it didn't work on the 292, I'd use it on the 351,  Mark

57 Ford Kustom

I wanted to correct my info. the 1.08 Autolite 4100 is 480 cfm, it was my 351W according to the cfm chart on summitts web site that was 390 cfm.
Tim :unitedstates:

Fairlane500

Thanks for the information.  I appreciate all who replied.  i had forgotten about the Autolite 4100.  I will start looking around for one.  If not it looks like the Holley isn't a bad second choice.

Ford Blue blood

One thing to remember about a Holley.....they love clean gas.  Make sure you have a very good filter in line and change it once a year.  I like my filter before the fuel pump.  Many many people bad mouth Holley carbs, most of those with "issues" have dirt problems.  Once set up and tuned properly they will provide great service for years.  The 600 CFM on my 351C powered 36 has been in place since 1979.  Been rebuilt once after an unfortunate vandalism incident and that was in 1987.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero

Frankenstein57

Bill, maybe the result of a bowtie  guy not liking your engine choice?

Ford Blue blood

Could be.....doubt it, they hit a dozen cars with green paint and dirt/junk in the gas tanks.  It was parked outside because I was in the middle of a top chop on a 48 F-1.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero

hiball3985

I can't count the number of Holleys I've used over the years with no problems. The earlier ones did have one weakness, a good backfire through the carb would blow the power valve. The newer ones don't do that but I don't remember what year the change in design was made.

I still have a 4100 Autolite on my 66 mustang that has worked great for years..
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

Frankenstein57

I went towards the holley because we had lots of parts and knowledge left over from the racecar days. I had a couple guys ripping on me on the y-block site for ditching the autolite, hey its my car.

57 Ford Kustom

Quote from: Frankenstein57 on 2014-03-27 19:43
I went towards the holley because we had lots of parts and knowledge left over from the racecar days. I had a couple guys ripping on me on the y-block site for ditching the autolite, hey its my car.

Amen to that!!!