News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

tailight lense story

Started by electricalan, 2014-03-26 17:29

Previous topic - Next topic

electricalan

I only had one on the car when I got it.About ten years ago I bought a set at a swap meet.Ipulled them out a month ago and noticed my new ones were several shades lighter red than the old ones,my assumption is I got cheap reproductions.A few weeks later I saw the set with the boxes and backup lights on e-bay.I thought cool,a old set and I can add the backup lights.I just received them and they look good,just dusty,but the chrome ring does not fit over them.It does fit over my original lense.Do I have the wrong lenses.The mount holes line up,but that ring will not go over ridges on outside of new lense.Iknow you guys know whats going on.Thanks Al 
Returning from a long hibernation!!!

Ford Blue blood

Two different rings, one for lens with back up and one for lens without.  No idea whay....must be "Ford's better idea"! 

Funny thing, the chrome on the reproduction rings from Carpenter turns dull and washes off in about a year.  Friend bought new ones from him and they are as dull as can be?  He keeps the car in the garage so the sun is not the issue.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

electricalan

Its funny that the E-bay guy had them paired up and with those old boxes.I guess if I new those numbers I would have known.They were too cheap to complain.I only paid 30 bucks.Thanks for the response Al

junior58

That's interesting about the rings. I wanted to take my reverse light lenses out (who drives much in reverse anyway?) and swap in a pair of non-reverse light type with blue-dots in the centre but retain my chrome rings. Sounds like I might have to get new rings as well, or leave them off.
Steve McKnight
57 Fords International - NZ chapter

57AGIN

Guys:

The Plasti-chrome on the tail light rings does not do well with any kind of polish.  I've found that if I only use one of the detail  preparation sprays like Mother's Show Time or Meguiar's Quik Detailer the plastic ring will hold its shine for a number of years.  I found this out the hard way, by using chrome polish not long after I got the car, which immediately ruined the rings.  Later just using even mild paint polishes the rings got them dull over a little time.  Rick has had the same experience.

Bob
57 AGIN

RICH MUISE

Bob..you know I was in the art gallery business for 23 years, so when I saw that photo it just jumped right out at me....I was just about to compliment you on your great photography when I noticed the pro photograper's stamp. So now I guess I only get to compliment you on picking a great photographer!
Rich
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

electricalan

Bob thanks for the heads up on the rings.they are good now so I will have to follow your lead and keep them that way.I was hoping somebody would have something to say about the lighter red coloration on the new lenses,and maybe does anybody reproduce the dark red like my original.My choices I now have are the lighter ones with my new rings or my new backup lense with no ring.Maybe I will try and find rings to go with my backup pair.After looking at your photo who would not. Al   

57AGIN

Rich:

I can't take any credit for that photo.  I was at a car show, Mustangs at the Queen Mary, showing both the 57 and my
Shelby.  After the show someone posted the photo of the 57's tail light on the Beach Cities Mustang Club (my other club) web page.  I was blown away by the image.  I'm not sure what he/she did with the original, or if this was the original.  Anyway, just thought I'd post it to go along with the thread.

Bob
57 AGIN

Ford Blue blood

Mike has never polished his rings.  Car doesn't get washed that often either.  Most of the maintenance work on the exterior is a wipe down with 100% cotton towels and when it does get washed it is with car wash soap.  The new rings I put on the wagon started to go "south" after four months but it was under the car port and the rings had morning sun on them. 

Just seams that for the money we could get a better product......know what I mean Vern?
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

sprink88

~Chris

Frankenstein57

That looks like a good product, I have some dash trim I used some rustoleum chrome in a can on, looks ok but could be better

Zapato

Quote from: sprink88 on 2014-03-29 09:33
Have you guys seen this???

http://www.alsacorp.com/live/view_killerchrome_demo.html

Figured this has been covered on the HAMB and it has which sent me off on a couple of tangents. Looks like one can get fairly good results at home. Google hydrographics for another possible solution.

Zap- :unitedstates:
Zapato

Cruise low and slow.......Nam class of '72

electricalan

I saw what looked like the same product,but was being sprayed out of a regular gun when I was googling chrome.Looks good on film,but I wonder how durable vs chrome.Looks like it would be easy enough to re-do.

sprink88

Never saw it on HAMB just because I don't like the format over there. I like everything in separate forums like here. So I haven't searched.  Has anyone used it? Results?
~Chris