News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Nice 300 spotted yesterday in Diamond Bar, CA

Started by robhaerr, 2014-04-13 12:15

Previous topic - Next topic

robhaerr

The band I play with worked the Diamond Bar 25th Anniversary celebration yesterday and it included a car show.

Owner Phil has re-created his first car from 1960. Very nice!

Rob

robhaerr

At the same show a few cars to Phil's right, this stunning '57 Buick Skylark Special won Best of Show.

These photos do not do it justice...this car is a gorgeous beast! Love the rear window.

hiball3985

Nice to see another 57 in So Cal, thanks for posting the pictures Rob. Last Wednesday a group of us were asked to bring our cars to a Chamber of Commerce mixer. I finally had time to talk to a guy with a Black 57 Fairlane who shows up occasionally with the local group and saw he had a 57 Internationals sticker in his window, I had no idea that he was a member here
:burnout:
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

57AGIN

Slightly off Topic:

Just wondering how many of us Southern California 57 owners and 57 Fords International members are going to go to the All Ford Show at Knott's this year on April 27?
If Rick and I know we can probably arrange the parking to put all of us together.

Bob
57 AGIN

hiball3985

Bob,
I know I won't be going but for what it worth when I talked to Chick with the black Fairlane he said he was going. I've never seen him post anything on the forum since I joined but maybe I just missed it. We have another local guy with a 57 wagon and a ranchero under construction and another with a stored ranchero but neither want anything to do with computers so I couldn't talk them into joining here..

Jim
JIM:
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

RICH MUISE

Jim...couldn't begin to tell you how many guys I talk to at shows with '57 Fords that don't do computers...How do these people survive, LOL?
Rob..nice Custom thanks for posting..Love that Buick..has to be one of the top 10 roof lines ever.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

hiball3985

Rich I was one of those people at at one time. I was years behind the rest of the world. It was my wifes prodding that finally forced me into it and I had no one to teach me, it was a steep learning curve and now I'm sure she regrets what she started  :003:
JIM:
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

Ford Blue blood

Quote from: hiball3985 on 2014-04-13 22:05
Rich I was one of those people at at one time. I was years behind the rest of the world. It was my wifes prodding that finally forced me into it and I had no one to teach me, it was a steep learning curve and now I'm sure she regrets what she started  :003:

I was there too.  Retired from the Navy just as they were going all computers, my experiance with that was not good as things were very difficult and a 280 was top of the line!  Managed to stay away for six more years until looking for a "real" job, had to get started then.  Still not a tech guru.....my cell is only for storms and travel and it don't twitter, text or take pictures, do have satelite TV and a VCR and this old machine is a tower with a key board, a mouse and a flat screen display.  Other then car/engine control divices I'm still old school.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

57AGIN

I think most of us growing up in the 60's wound up a little hesitant to get into the computer world.  I took a machine language course in Jr. College and never got the hang of 0's & 1's. lol  Then after getting out of the Navy, I got a job at the Jet Propulsion Laboratory and ended up a Computer Operations Shift Supervisor.  This job just entailed using a keyboard with a few very specific Fortran commands to communicate with one or another of the Deep Space Spacecraft.  I sure as heck couldn't say I knew how to operate the computer, a huge IBM 360-75.  Enter the age of the PC and my wife got one of the ones before the Apple II.  I decided I'd rather have my secretary at work deal with the computers in the 80's and 90's and give the IT people the specific info I needed them to get out of the computer.  This worked until I took a job at a place where I didn't have a secretary and had to compose and do all my memo's and reports on my own.  lol  I took a class in WordPerfect and got forced into learning about computers.  Best thing that could have happened in my case anyway.  My wife is still the guru at home, but I can get by in a pinch.

Bob
57 AGIN

RICH MUISE

Way off track from the original post, but quote Bob..."I took a machine language course in Jr. College and never got the hang of 0's & 1's."
One of my Community College proffesors inSoCal explained it this way...Ones and Zeros are the biggest misnomer in computers. They are not actually ones and zeros, but what has become the international symbol for on and off ...an "O" and a bar. They are on almost everything nowadays..swithes on power tools, autos, ect. Think back to the beginnings of computers in the 50's when IBM built the first computer in Cambridge, Mass. Way before the days of micro manufacturing, the computer covered two city blocks and was a maze of thousands and thousands electrical switches and lightbulbs indicating whether the connected switch was on or off. To simplfy the recording (remember, all hand written!) of the switch position, they used ones and zeros. I don't know, but I suspect this preceeded the later international adoption and use of those symbols to mean on and off.
I'm sure nowhere smart enough to figure out how they did it, one switch being controlled by the actions of the prior switch, but at least that explanation made it easier for me to understand how they could have done it,what was happening with the "1's and 0's" that is.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe