News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Selling a car on Ebay

Started by Lou, 2014-05-05 18:42

Previous topic - Next topic

Lou

As anyone here ever sold a car on Ebay? I can't figure out what the total commissions are. I have 2 cars I want to sell one for about $10,000 and the other for about $24,000, what will it cost me to do this?

gasman826

eBay Motors is completely different than the other eBay categories.  You can list a titled vehicle through a worksheet menu.  There is a running fee total at the bottom of the worksheet.  You can work up a listing for your vehicle with the options you want and an opportunity to see what your listing will look like before you commit.  You have to select a button that asks you do you want to list?  EBay would have went broke holding its breath waiting for sellers to admit they sold their car and they now want to pay commission due.  Now it is just a listing fee.  IF you don't add bells and whistles, listing fee should be $125.  A fair deal for a week long, world coverage ad.

BWhitmore

I put my a Ranchero on Ebay for the cost of $77 (listing fee)The car did not sell on Ebay because I ended the auction early due to an outstanding offer from a gentleman who saw the car on Ebay. 

BWhitmore

One more thing about selling a car on Ebay.  If you accept payment for the car through Paypal, Paypal will also take a small percentage from the proceeds of the sale.

RICH MUISE

Sounds pretty reasonable considering the exposure and comparison to  brokering fees if sold thru an agent.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

electricalan

I sold a mustang on the auction there a couple years ago and got twice as much as I was expecting ..so I guess thats why I dont even remember the fees,but I think its a good deal and gets it done.
Returning from a long hibernation!!!

gasman826

Quote from: BWhitmore on 2014-05-05 21:33
One more thing about selling a car on EBay.  If you accept payment for the car through Paypal, Paypal will also take a small percentage from the proceeds of the sale.
Sorry...forgot the PayPal cut.  I just assumed everybody uses PayPal.  I will gladly pay the PayPal fee to get guaranteed funds.  No cashiers check, money order, or cash is without fraud or potential for loss(your bank will cash money orders but if it goes bad, they just dip into your account and take it back).  A US Postal money order is good.  It has a 800 number on the back to call to confirm.  Cash at any US Post Office.  Post Office told me they take Canadian Postal Money Orders.

BWhitmore

Paypal is good.  The safest form of payment for a large amount without fees paid by the seller is a bank wire transfer.  Paypal, however, does offer the security that they will go after either the buyer or seller if something goes wrong.  Never accept a cashier's check - too many counterfeit cashier's checks out there.

4thgen57

Sold a Pinto on there a few years back. Wasn't that expensive. Paypal saved my butt on a $75 purchase last year. Got every penny back when the seller did not ship.

hiball3985

Quote from: BWhitmore on 2014-05-05 21:27
I put my a Ranchero on Ebay for the cost of $77 (listing fee)The car did not sell on Ebay because I ended the auction early due to an outstanding offer from a gentleman who saw the car on Ebay.
Bill, I can't believe you sold the Ranchero, that was a beautiful car  :005:
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

BWhitmore

Jim - sold the car to a collector in Glendora.  Just bought 2 older Mercedes for restoration.  Hated to see the Ranchero go but I needed the garage space.  I am hopeful the new owner will join this forum. 

hiball3985

Bill, I'm sorry you had to let it go but what ever makes you happy. I wish I had known you planning on selling it.
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

Lou

I still haven't found out what persentage of the sale price Ebay takes. Paypal is 2.9 %

BWhitmore

The successful listing fee is $125.00 if your car sells on Ebay by a regular auction, Buy It Now, or a fixed price classified ad on Ebay.  There are no other fees.

Awca12a

So what are you selling?