News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

New gas tank question

Started by Ecode70D, 2014-05-31 18:37

Previous topic - Next topic

Ecode70D

I need to buy a new gas tank for my 57 Custom.  Who has bought one for a Custom that fits right in and was able to attach his original sending unit? 
   That's the one I want.  Thanks Jay

Finally1

I bought a new one from Rock Auto it was the best deal I found . I also put a new sender in I bought off ebay . Tank fit fine and fuel gauge seems ok so far .My sending unit was trashed so I had no option to try and reusing it .
1957-70A -19000 miles
1966 Gt Fairlane 38000 miles

Both cars still have original sheet metal

RICH MUISE

I got mine from Auto City Classic. Does it fit right in? Don't know yet, it's my NEXT project, but it should. I also won't know if the oem sending unit fits as I won't be installing a sending unit until I get my gages installed. My gauge kit came with sending units for everything.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

Ecode70D

Quote from: Finally1 on 2014-05-31 21:34
I bought a new one from Rock Auto it was the best deal I found . I also put a new sender in I bought off ebay . Tank fit fine and fuel gauge seems ok so far .My sending unit was trashed so I had no option to try and reusing it .

I tried to contact Rock Auto but can't find their gas tanks.  They only list the gas cap.
Do you have a phone number for them?
Thanks Jay

Ecode70D

Quote from: RICH MUISE on 2014-05-31 21:38
I got mine from Auto City Classic. Does it fit right in? Don't know yet, it's my NEXT project, but it should. I also won't know if the oem sending unit fits as I won't be installing a sending unit until I get my gages installed. My gauge kit came with sending units for everything.

Rich
     I found their phone number 1800 828 2212 and they request a phone call for fuel tanks so I'll call them on Monday morning for all the information.  My OEM sending unit works so I plan on using it in the new tank that I get.
     Do you happen to remember how long it took for you to receive it after placing the order?
Thank you very much Jay

wildhog

Jay. I think Rock Auto gets his Tanks from Auto Glass Spec. I put a tank from Auto Glass in my Ragtop last summer, and got it in 2 days. but that only about 300 miles. Tom
JUST A MIDNIGHT CRUISE DOWN THUNDER ROAD (TOM DRUMMOND MIDWEST DIRECTOR)

RICH MUISE

Jay..it was just a few days. Auto City has pretty good service. Their website is in our links list.
http://www.autocityclassic.com/index.php?option=com_virtuemart&page=shop.browse&category_id=1035&Itemid=64
I opted for the ni-tern finish. Kind of a side note that won't matter to you, Jay, but I had to modify mine for an in-tank fuel pump. Before I started I didn't know what to expect for weldability, but I had absolutly no problems...nothing at all like trying to weld galvanized. No fumes, no residue, excellent weldability...very similar to welding exhaust pipe material.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

Finally1

Just go to part search and type in F34b which is the part number for the fuel tank . I had my tank in two days

1957-70A -19000 miles
1966 Gt Fairlane 38000 miles

Both cars still have original sheet metal

Frankenstein57

My friend Frank with the custom 300, got his from Auto city classic. No problems, and quite the bargain compared to a ranchero/ wagon tank.

Ecode70D

I would like to thank  Finally1,Tom, Mark and Rich that responded to my gas tank question.
  I called Auto City Classic and ordered one today and the order got in early enough that it will be shipped today.  The ETA is in three days.
  They stated that it is a bolt in including the  OEM sending unit.
   It took about an hour to jack up the car, install the stands and drain the gas.
   Taking out the gas tank took about 12-15 minutes.
   So if all goes well, my custom will be back driving by the week end.

hiball3985

Jay, that,s good news, glad you got one..
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

Ecode70D

Jim
    I'll bet that I can't install the new one and hook up the lines in 15 minutes.
Jay

hiball3985

Quote from: Ecode70D on 2014-06-02 20:00
Jim
    I'll bet that I can't install the new one and hook up the lines in 15 minutes.
Jay
Well that twice as fast as my old bones move if you do  :003:
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

Ecode70D

Jim
    Talking about old bones.  I know what you mean. 
    I should have installed a real lift back in 1978 when I built the shop.  These days it takes a long time to jack up a car, put stands under it and make it safe.  Jay

gasman826

Short of an air compressor, the best tool I ever bought!!!!!!!!!  I wouldn't work without one.