News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

engine re install

Started by 57 Ford Kustom, 2014-06-07 15:13

Previous topic - Next topic

57 Ford Kustom

Guys,
   While i am waiting for my engine to return from the machine shop, would it be easier to install the trans now, and then the engine? Or would it be easier to marry the two, and then install it as one unit?
Thanks,
Tim :unitedstates:
aka:Bluedot Kid 2
To fast to live, to young to die.

GaryI72

From my personal experience we dropped the 460 and four speed in as one unit. We used straps and a front end backhoe bucket, (redneck, I know).Used Crites motor mounts. Went in easier than I thought it would.

Frankenstein57

The 57 allows plenty of room to drop it in as one

gasman826

I would expect OEM drive trains to slide in or out as one piece.  If I remember correctly, yours is 351W.  Unless you have pulled the transmission with the engine in the car, I would wait and put it in as one.  There are holes in the floor for bolt access for FordOMatics.  I've attempted to pull the bell housing off my 460 and it was too tight.  I put the motor and tranny in as one with the front clip removed, rack dropped, sway bar removed, and on the hoist.

hotroddonnie

Installed mine with the trans connected, but it doesn't count......I had no front end on.

hotroddonnie

I'm in the mood to share some pics, haven't posted for a bit.

Jeff Norwell

"Don't get Scared now little Fella"

1957 Ford Custom-428-4 speed
1957 Ford Custom 300-410-4 speed

http://www.norwell-equipped.com

57 Ford Kustom

Thanks all for the replies! gasman you are right that I have a 351w and that I pulled them as one. I thought that it would be easier to do as one unit, so that is what I will do. I guess I am just anxious to do something, the weather is great and my car is still sitting!
Thanks,

Ecode70D

So Tim
    It looks like the verdict is in.  You're going to install it as a unit.  Right?
Jay

hotroddonnie

Quote from: Jeff Norwell on 2014-06-07 20:49
Hi Donnie!
Hey Jeff! We haven't chatted in a while....lots to chat about, I'll call you Sunday night. I see you've been busy with getting your car show ready! HRD

57 Ford Kustom

Jay,
  I will be putting it in as one unit, I'm just getting anxious to do something! I'm sure everyone on this site has gone through the same thing!

sprink88

WAY easier to put them in together. Not a lot of room for play but it is still possible.

Good choice going in as one!
~Chris

Ecode70D

Quote from: 57 Ford Kustom on 2014-06-08 05:48
Jay,
  I will be putting it in as one unit, I'm just getting anxious to do something! I'm sure everyone on this site has gone through the same thing!

Tim
    I always replace the transmission front seal when I have them apart.  I do this even if the trans. is not leaking.  For a couple of bucks, it's cheap insurance.   This is just my opinion. jay

57 Ford Kustom

Jay,
   I did the front seal, and tail shaft seal and also the seals for the shift arm, and kick down arms. I also replaced the fiber trans filter with a brass one, and obviously replaced the drain pan seal. I believe a wise man suggested it last fall when I first pulled everything out! Lol! (it was you Jay)

Ecode70D

Well now you don't have to worry about the seals leaking.
    Be careful installing the torque converter.  I think you should feel (two/three?) bumps when turning and installing it..  It's been a while since I did an automatic.  These days ,all my cars are standard shift.
     Someone who has done one recently should chime in and help you  on this one. 
     If not installed properly, you could cause some damage.