News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

6 cylinder vs 8 cylinder?

Started by fdlrc, 2014-07-10 21:57

Previous topic - Next topic

fdlrc

Is there any down side in buying a 6 cylinder 300 to Resto Mod vs an 8 cylinder car? I would imagine the rear end might be to light for a 351w and five speed. Are major suspension components similar?
Other- Original owner of 1974 Bronco

canadian_ranchero

the rear ends are the same,springs are different, the rest of the car is almost the same   

fdlrc

Any ideas whether or not Fatman or similar product would be the same regarding lowering spindles and disc brakes?
Other- Original owner of 1974 Bronco

RICH MUISE

As Gary said, they'd be the same. Other than the guys who chose to go the salvage yard route for different vintage spindles, most of the guys here who have changed over to discs have gone the Granada spindles route, which also lowers the front a few inches. Bolt in kits are readily available thru Dave at Drop n Stop. He's one of the suppliers in our list of links. There are lots of threads on the subject, but don't hesitate to ask...with this forum being for one year only of one make, redundantcy is unavoidable, if not almost necesary.
If you're going the resto mod route, there will be zero difference as far as I know about whether the car was oem 6 or 8. I would think the only time that would come into consideration would be if you were doing a factory restoration. I think the "springs are different" statement gary mentioned was in reference to the spring rates up front..other suspension components are the same.
'57 was the first year of the legendary "ford 9"rear" that hot rodders have been putting in just about everything for decades...
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

SkylinerRon

Radiators and motor mount pads mainly.
A 312&5sp would be much cooler and just as fast and bolt together. (T-Bird valve covers are always a show stopper at the cruise-in!)
Just say'n.........

Ron.