News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

change master cyl

Started by geraldchainsaw, 2014-08-03 11:57

Previous topic - Next topic

geraldchainsaw

i'm sure it has been brought up many times,  didn't need it then,  need it now.   has anyone changed to a dual master cyl?,  if so,  what did u use,  any problems, what will interchange?,  tell me what i need to know,  thanks   jerry

rmk57

I used a Granada manual disc brake master with a Wilwood adjustable brake bias valve.
If your still on drum brakes maybe something like a Torino, Fairlane, Mustang drum master would work well.

The master itself bolted right on but the rod had to be lengthened or shortened, can't remember.
Brake lines will also have to be fabricated to go into and out of the proportioning valve.

Randy
Randy

1957 Ford Custom
1970 Boss 429

Zapato

Gerry, if you're still using stock brakes I'd use a 66 Mustang drum/drum master cylinder. Measure your bolt to bolt mounting dimension pretty sure they're real close. You might have to adapt or modify your actuating rod. One will come with the new master. Just bought one for a 42 truck last week and it was $40- for a remanufactured one plus core charge. and they will accept our 42 master as core for return. BC to BC is 3 1/8''  across and it needs about an 1 3/4'' bore for the snout to fit thru the firewall.

This is all manual brake info, guessing that the dimensions are similar or same for a power system.  And the same master body is used for disc/drum combinations.  There are also side specific masters in case you need to route your lines right or left, and am told some masters have ports on both sides.

My parts guy at NAPA tells me he's never had a re-man m/c come back in his 20+ years there. Not sure if other parts houses can say same. New was around $70- .

Hope this helps..........

Zap- :unitedstates:
Zapato

Cruise low and slow.......Nam class of '72

geraldchainsaw

thanks for the info guys,   i'll check it out

hiball3985

Mustangs didn't have dual masters until 1967...
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

gasman826

Just put a '74 Maverick drum drum master in my Ranch Wagon.  Got it from Advance Auto for something like $35.00.  Bolted right to the firewall.  Used the original rod with no modification or adjustment.  You will also need a new pressure switch, brass inverted flare tee, brass female pipe to male inverted flare adopter, an assortment of short 1/8" inverted flare brake lines, 1/8" inverted flare coupling, tubing bender and brake fluid.  Advance will give core on '57 MC.

canadian_ranchero

used a 68 mustang drum brake master on my 57 bolted right on.had to make the push rod about a 1/4 longer.replaced the t fitting on the frame for the rear line. went to the left hand front wheel hose connection for the front line.moved the brake light switch to the brake pedal,used about a 68 ford truck switch

Zapato

Quote from: hiball3985 on 2014-08-03 16:13
Mustangs didn't have dual masters until 1967...

Oops, my bad use a 67 master cylinder.

Zap- :iamwithstupid:
Zapato

Cruise low and slow.......Nam class of '72