News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Did I goof?

Started by Ecode70D, 2014-08-04 07:35

Previous topic - Next topic

Ecode70D

I was just reading about the 57 with the Edsel nose on it and noticed this quote
      " The 58 Ed wgn rear bumper is the 57 Ford wgn mounted upside down!". 

Someone told me at a car cruise that mine looks like it is upside down.
   Since there are no 57s around here to compare mine to. I'll just ask the experts.   
   I took this rear bumper off of my 58 Ranchero many years ago and put it away.  So my question is did I install it on my 57 Ford upside down?

Thank you for your answers.   Jay

RICH MUISE

Nope...it's right...but that's from someone with NO bumper, lol. Your "dip" for the license plate is on the top side as it should be, and the ends where it wraps around the side are pointing upwards, following the upwards lines of the rear quarter.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

Zapato

Jay, are there some filled or unfilled holes for the bumperettes now on the bottom of the bumper ? I too noticed that on the Edsel thread and wondered how it would look. My rear bumper has damage from a jack so its a no-brainer how it goes.

Zap- :unitedstates:
Zapato

Cruise low and slow.......Nam class of '72

suede57ford

Bumper looks right, but it seems to set higher up then many other customs.  The character line of the quarter panel is usually about even with the top of the bumper, and the gap between the license tag and the bumper seems close.  Thats what it looks like from the photos.  Great looking car.
57 2dr Sedan, Black,VR57 Supercharged Y-block
57 T-bird, 460 C6
57 Ranchwagon, 5.0 AOD
57 Ranchero, VR57 Supercharged
57 Courier Delivery, 460 C6
57 2dr Sedan, Red/White
69 Mach1 428 R-Code
69 Talladega 428
69 Bronco 5.0
70 Torino Cobra SCJ 4spd,4:30 Drag Pak
34 Ford P.U. 427 Ford, 2-4s
69 Boss 429

hotroddonnie

I've posted pictures of my bumper before, had the ends tucked in a bit before the chroming. Guys would ask if it was upside down or if it was even the right bumper for the car. No questions since. 

hotroddonnie

Still cant figure out how to post more then one picture, even though I've had it explained to me by a few people on this site. I wanted to do a side by side.

Ecode70D

Thanks guys...   That's what i wanted to hear. 
    Zap... That one does have some extra holes for the Ranchero  hardware.   I just put SS bolts in them to fill them in.   Decided to use that one because it was in better condition than mine.
     Pat ... That's an early picture.  The license plate assembly has since been adjusted.   Thanks for the nice comment.
     Rich ...   The lic plate dip on the top was my deciding factor when installing it. 
      Donnie...  I'm not good at explaining how to post more than one  picture.   It might be best to have Jeff just show you how to do it and take notes.
Jay

Frankenstein57

I've gotten that comment a bunch of times, even from my painter

RICH MUISE

That's why mine doesn't have one. LOL. Always thought it never quite looked right from the side. From the back they look alright, but I think it took me about 8 years to figure out what they were trying to do was follow the body lines over the rear wheel well.
Donnie your pics are too big..they need to be downsized as there is a 4k max per post, and yours are over half that, which is why it won't take more than one per post. your first pic is 1800+ and your second pic is 2200+...those +'s put it over a total of 4000
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

hotroddonnie

Thanks Rich! I think you were the one that told me that last time. I have some new pictures of my car I'd like to post, maybe after work I will do that and make them smaller. HRD

Zapato

HRD your bumper is what Ford should have built in the first place. Nicely tucked in not hanging out waiting to grab your leg everytime you walk around the car. Well done!

Zapato

Ecode70D

Quote from: Zapato on 2014-08-05 10:05
HRD your bumper is what Ford should have built in the first place. Nicely tucked in not hanging out waiting to grab your leg everytime you walk around the car. Well done!

Donnie's rear bumper looks real cool.   It took some thinking, planning, and and some work.

I bet that no one is going to get his leg caught on Rich's back bumper.

SkylinerRon

If you ever see an Edsel wgn check out the cool rear bumperguard.
A friend of mine has a 58 Edsel 2dr wgn with overdrive, very rare.

Ron.

Zapato

I like that bumper guard, is it standard on all Edsels ? Know a guy that parts out Edsels should give him a call.

Zapato

Ford Blue blood

Quote from: Zapato on 2014-08-05 23:58
I like that bumper guard, is it standard on all Edsels ? Know a guy that parts out Edsels should give him a call.

No, just 1958 wagons.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II