News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Vent windows

Started by Raven Rider, 2014-09-07 13:33

Previous topic - Next topic

Raven Rider

Is there a way to tighten up the wing windows?  My wing windows will not stay open after about40 MPG.  Thanks

RICH MUISE

I went out and looked at mine that were rebuilt/restored/refurbished? a few years ago and they open and close with very little effort, so I'm probably going to have the same problem. It'll be intesting if anybody  has a fix for this. I don't recall having that problem back in the 60's. The only springs I remember were in the lock handle. May be that the pins and clamp plates are just worn, or we're both missing the same parts..I suspect the former. It also may be that the original rubber seals were firmer, and that drag was enough to hold them in place.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

gasman826

The upper pin (hinge) is held together with two screws.  When I rebuilt mine (new seals, glass, and side glass track), I tweaked the little plate that the two screws hold down.  Works fine.  I also considered using thin ABS squeezed into the hinge.  I don't think you can do this without out removing the vent assembly from the door.  This means a complete tear down of the door.  If you could do it in the car, the old gaskets would be too stiff and not survive.  There is a reason old vent windows flop in the wind!!!