News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Need Help with Engine Change

Started by swamprattler, 2008-02-15 19:10

Previous topic - Next topic

swamprattler

Hi Guys
I hope someone with more experience with original ford engines can help me. I took apart the original 223 6 cyl from my 57 Ford Wagon and it is beyond repair. I have since located (according to the owner)a  292 engine that was in a 1963 Ford truck. Is there any difference between truck and car engines. What difficulties would i have in putting this engine in my Wagon. One last question is how do identufy this as an actual Ford 292.

Thanks for the help

Gil

Hoosier Hurricane

You will need a passenger car oil pan.  Big trucks had a different fan setup and a different water pump.  If the fan bolts directly to the water pump, that's the type you need.  If the engine was original to the truck, it is a 292.  The front mount will need to come off the engine and passenger car side mounts installed.  You'll need a V8 radiator.  Throttle linkage will need to be worked out, and some wires may need lengthened or shortened.  You will probably want to substitute passenger car exhaust manifolds and put on dual exhaust.

John

Hoosier Hurricane

Forgot to mention, the 6 bellhousing will not bolt to the V8, you'll need a V8 bellhousing.  Also, there is a 6 listed for sale on the for sale listing on this site.

John

57 Ford Kustom

The only thing I can add is if you use a car standard transmission you must use a car bellhousing.

TOM  :unitedstates:  :burnout:
aka:Bluedot Kid 2
To fast to live, to young to die.

bagboy

If you change to 292 ,try an all syncro 3-sp.Linkage bolts up,drive shaft needs to be longer tho,much stronger.