News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

rear view mirror

Started by jwtdvm, 2014-11-11 15:08

Previous topic - Next topic

jwtdvm

Another question on my crazy wagon---I wanted to get a new or good used rear view mirror--mine pretty trashed---it screws into a bracket in the middle of the header/windshield trim---it seems to be an oddball thread---it is definetly fine thread but 3/8 too small--a 7/16 fine seems to start a short distance but then goes not further--maybe 3/4 turn--I get same result whether I try a bolt in the female part of the windshield mount or I try a nut on the threaded end of the actual mirror--so I dont think it is just "buggered" threads--the inside threads on the nut that goes with the mirror just look "more fine" than a fine thread bolt--Is this some oddball 13/32 or 25/64 thread?????

RICH MUISE

After I get my wife home from the hospital, I'll go out and figure what the threads are...I've got micrometers and thread gages. May be a few days.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

jwtdvm

57chero

What I did was buy a rear view mirror for a 56 f-100 its the right size and shape and all chrome. You unscrew it from the base and screw it into the 57 moulding base piece, looks like it was made for it.

jwtdvm

thanks--looked at one on ebay--looks like it would work so ordered it--now hopefully it will screw on with out taking all my garnish molding back off!!

lalessi1

I bought mine from LMC Trucks. It is chrome and the shape of the attachment arm is a little different putting it lower in your field of vision. I started to cut it and rethread it if it bugged me, but it is fine.
Lynn

RICH MUISE

I checked the threads on mine...it's 7/16-28.

Interesting on the 56 f-100 mirror. I looked on Ebay and the ones I found for the '56 F-100 have the swivel in the mounting bracket rather than the mirror, so won't work like the one 57chero found. The 53-55 F-100 I found, however, has the swivel in the mirror with the threads in the mounting bracket, like our '57's, and are stainless to boot (my preference). The mirror Dennis Carpenter is showing for '57's doesn't look like it would work at all.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ford-Pickup-Truck-Stainless-Inside-Rear-View-Mirror-NEW/350409703206?_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D27538%26meid%3Dc6091ff5cf984bf3b7e9e0dcde6db9f7%26pid%3D100005%26prg%3D11353%26rk%3D4%26rkt%3D6%26sd%3D350440541533&rt=nc

JPotter57

nice..never thought about those...
1957 Ford Custom 427 2x4 4 spd
Old, loud, and fast.

gasman826

Can't confirm it yet...I've ordered a '60 Thunderbird rear view mirror.  Chrome, day/night option, stem built in with threads.  One year only and pricey.  Maybe someone has tried this combo or has one laying around?  I'll update later.

RICH MUISE

I did order one of the truck mirrors I posted the link to....I'll confirm it's quality and usability after it arrives. After ordering, I saw another ad for the same mirror, even used the same pics, for 5 or 6 bucks less for total with shiping.
Eventually I'd like to end up with an electronic unit with built in digital compass. They usually have temp and day/night, but I use compasses alot. LOL...ever get off a highway for gas and after getting back on, you can't remember if you turned the right way?

RICH MUISE

I got the mirror today and am quite happy...I can't find a flaw in it anywhere. It is made by Vintique. It is the same width as the '57's, the new one being about an inch longer. The swivel post is close enough to the same. Unless somebody wants to see a pic of the two mirrors side by side, I won't post a pic of the new one as there are good pics in the above ebay link.
The mounting threads are different however. I haven't measured them but they look to be 3/8-24. The threads have enough length, however , to pass thru the '57 mounting bracket's 7/16 hole and just use a second nut on the backside. I haven't painted my old one yet, so I'll tack weld that rear nut in place.I need to do some mods to my bracket anyway to add support clips for my caddy sunvisors.
For those of you who have your windshild inside garnish trim in place, you may have to remove some of them to get the mirror bracket off, so you may want to look for a mirror that'll just screw in without having to remove anything but the old mirror.

Raven Rider

If Rich likes it I will buy it.  It is on order I'm glad you guys found this I needed a new mirror mine is all scratched up and this isn't much more than replacing the mirror glass plus it is shiny.

lalessi1

Pics of the mirror from LMC trucks. The mirror is virtually identical to the original and screws into the original bracket. I rotated it to put the swivel closer to the bottom to offset the longer arm.
Lynn
Lynn

RICH MUISE

Very nice...The design on the back is very similar to the '57 passenger car...the one I bought is smooth on the backside. Thanks for posting the pic. Do you remember what you paid for that?

lalessi1

Catalog Link  http://www.lmctruck.com/icatalog/fb/full.aspx?Page=91

Part 49-6325   $!9.95. I used the car bracket and turned the mirror upside down rather than cut and thread the shaft down.
I looked for this many hours!

Lynn