News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Door Panels and A/C Questions

Started by KYBlueOval, 2014-11-12 04:51

Previous topic - Next topic

KYBlueOval

I jut purchased a '57 Ranchero and it is missing the door panels. Is the correct door panel shared with other '57's like 2 door sedans, Ranch Wagons? I found a pair from a Fairlane........how different are they from what was on a Ranchero? This will not be a stock restoration, but rather a resto-rod, so I don't have to have the exact correct door panels. Need some advise on what will fit. Hoping y'all will share your knowledge.
While I'm asking questions, can anyone tell me which Vintage Air system is a good fit for a '57?
Thanks
John

RICH MUISE

Welcome to the forum!!
I'll let the Ranchero guys chime in on the door panels, but my guess is the size of the Fairlane panels may be different. I know the pattern/design is definetly different. The Ranchero is built on the Custom series platform, so panels from a Custom 2 dr., assumming you can't find Ranchero's, would probably be closer.
As far as the AC systems, I think most of the guys are installing the Gen IV. I'm in process of doing the install of mine. Unfortunatly, Vintage Air. like most of the aftermarket manufacturers, does not make a sure fit system for the 57 Ford, so you'll have to work with a universal kit...making your oun brackets, hoses, etc.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

Kenny

I just finished installing a Classic Auto Air street Rod system in my 57 Custom 300.  They make a system designed for direct fit into a 56 and after looking over the excellent installation instructions I determined it would work in the 57 with slight modifications.  It is a slightly smaller evaporator box so there was lots of room but the best part is you can use your original standard heater control in the dash.  It not only allows full operation of the system but can be hooked up to the drivers side outside air vent to control it as well.  Passenger side vent is removed and covered over.   Iam using the old vent control locations as a spot for horn and check engine light for efi system. I will not go I go I to detail here but if you want more feedback or info send me a message.  I am also using the old Center ashtray opening for the centre louvers outlet. 

57chero

The door panels are the same fit for a 2dr sedan, 2dr Wagon and Ranchero, patterns vary.

RICH MUISE

"The door panels are the same fit for a 2dr sedan, 2dr Wagon and Ranchero, patterns vary."

I think the question here for Kenny KYBlueOval is is the Fairlane 2dr sedan the same size/fit as the 2 dr Custom. I know it's been discussed here...I don't remember what was said.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

Ford Blue blood

While the doors are the same length the top finish (window sill) is different.  The Fairlane sill dips down as it goes towards the rear.  The wagon, Ranchero and 300s do not dip down. 
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

KYBlueOval

Quote from: Ford Blue blood on 2014-11-13 06:45
While the doors are the same length the top finish (window sill) is different.  The Fairlane sill dips down as it goes towards the rear.  The wagon, Ranchero and 300s do not dip down. 
Being the "newbie" to all things '57 Ford, do I understand you to say that the Fairlane door panel is a different physical size than the Ranchero and 300's? I wasn't sure if the panel was the same size and the Fairlane sill covered more of it as it dips down and goes towards the rear, as opposed to the panel actually being different in that area.

What can ya'll tell me about the difference in the trim on the Fairlane Door Panels vs. the  trim on the panels on a Ranchero and/or 300?
I can make a new panel to fit my Ranchero. Will the trim from a Fairlane work? Or only the trim from a Ranchero or 300?
I'm building this Ranchero as a Resto-Rod so it does not have to be "Stock".
Could/Would anyone send me a photo or two of what the different door panel trims look like?
I found someone that has Fairlane panels..........the panels are poor at best he says ,but the trim is good. Don't want to buy it if it won't work or is going to look stupid. I'm not thin skinned..........so tell me if Fairlane trim on a Ranchero will look stupid, or will only the pure restoration folks recognize the difference .
Thanks to all that have responded. I'm getting exactly the information I was hoping for.
John

Ford Blue blood

Here is a Ranchero door finished with 500 2dr style trim.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero

VwDrvFnd

Here are my Stock 57 Ranchero Door Panels. Sunfaded and used after 57 years.

I have a rust hole in my passanger side inner fender well, It's 58 years old what do you expect?

KYBlueOval

Quote from: Ford Blue blood on 2014-11-13 07:51
Here is a Ranchero door finished with 500 2dr style trim.
Very nice sir. Many thanks for sending this.
John

KYBlueOval

Quote from: VwDrvFnd on 2014-11-13 10:46

Quote from: VwDrvFnd on 2014-11-13 10:46

Thank you as well sir. What a great site. Thanks for the photos. Really appreciate it.
John

Ford Blue blood

Forgot to say the arm rest are 63/64 Galaxie as are the lights on the bottom.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero

Ecode70D

This is what a stock plain Jane 57 2 dr door panel looks like.  There is no trim but most of them have arm rests and some don't. 

KYBlueOval

Thank you for the photo. I'm moving quickly up the "57 Ford Learning Curve.
I'm sure I'll be back with more questions.
Appreciate your help.
John

57chero

I went with the custom 300 version in my ranchero.