News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

starting my 4.6 swap

Started by canadian_ranchero, 2014-11-30 13:20

Previous topic - Next topic

canadian_ranchero

a few years ago i picked up a sway bar kit,front and rear, from concours parts for my ranchero.since the ranchero and wagon are the same frame the rear bar fits[good thing i kept them when i sold my ranchero] :003:

lalessi1

There is a question that has come up regarding back spacing of the front wheels and clearance for the sway bar at full lock. Can you shed any light on this issue?
Lynn

canadian_ranchero

with my granada spindles,14"granada wheels,215/75/14" tires and borgeson box,i have about a 1/4 of clearance between the tire and sway bar at full lock.when the suspension is at ride hight,it will have a little more clearance[i think]

lalessi1

Thanks for that info!  :003: It's another "point on the curve". What is the back spacing on Granada wheels.... I'll start a thread...
Lynn

canadian_ranchero

here are some progress pictures.the second and 3rd pictures are of my fuel pump install[not finished yet]

canadian_ranchero

update,got the diff together with the 3.56 posi gears,put the 1968 brakes on,and replaced the shocks.should have my engine parts thursday   

RICH MUISE

what did the gears come out of? Axels?
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

canadian_ranchero

a few years ago i rebuilt this center section from my pile of 9" stuff[for another project].1964 heavy duty case,mid 70's 4 pinion posi unit,28 spline to fit early axles.gears are mid 60's[3.56 till 1968,3.50 from 1969]the housing and axles are from the wagon

Ford Blue blood

The 73 F100 I had was equipped with a 3:55 posi in a "N" carrier with 31 spline axles.  360/granny gear 4 speed.  Ordered it that way, the "N" and 31 spline was a real suprise!
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

canadian_ranchero

checked my local parts store for new brake drums to fit the 1968 brakes i am using[why not]would you believe they had them in stock :booty:

RICH MUISE

I'm going to post this here and on other threads to make sure guys see it....
Warning on Anchor motor mounts...there's been alot of posts on the Hamb about what is getting to be a high failure rate for Anchor brand motor mounts. As could be figured, apparently this stems from the once reliable company swithching to chinese manufacture. Apparently the issue is even being articled in the monthly magazines.
When I did mine, I thought about the urathane mounts that cost 4 times as much, but the sqeaking issue with urathane and their 4X cost, and Anchor's reputation at that time led me to chose Anchors. I'm going to keep a close eye on mine...may replace them if it looks like it'll be easier without the front fenders on.
Anyways, for you guys starting the 4.6 swap You may want to figure another option than Anchors if you haven't already. Gary, I think you mentioned along time ago you had a pair of Mustang OEM's.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

pepfalcon

i used the stock mark viii fluid filled mounts on my conversion. welded a piece of angle on the 57 pad to make it horizontal, then vertical bolt in mount through a hole in angle. oem mounts that fit right and were cheap to boot. [they came with engine].

canadian_ranchero

yes my mounts are oem mustang

canadian_ranchero

update.new drums on.rear brake lines not done yet,need to fit exhaust.got some of my engine parts today.rest should be in by wednesday

canadian_ranchero

update.got the cowl aria all cleaned up and painted,ready to put my wipers in.also redid my gauges[see my other post].found my heater control was broken,something else to fix