News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

starting my 4.6 swap

Started by canadian_ranchero, 2014-11-30 13:20

Previous topic - Next topic

canadian_ranchero

the first picture is the mounts all welded in and painted.the next picture is what i will be starting on after the engine is in

RICH MUISE

Top picture looks great, Gary. Bottom picture might as well be a barn full of snakes for me..either way, I'd be dead in the water.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

pepfalcon

bottom picture looks like my floor  few  ago. as for driveshaft, i ended up with 63 inches in my 2 door hardtop.

Lucky'57

Gary - You are awesome :), what beautiful work. I can only aspire... I very much look forward to seeing you this summer. My efforts on my 57 pale in comparison but I relish listening to your efforts and experience. Well done Sir.
If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you always got - Henry Ford (1863-1947)

canadian_ranchero

update.first picture is of the port matching i did on the manifolds before i put them on.next ones are of the left exhaust,2 1/2 pipe.[needs finished welding]i think there is enough clearance between the exhaust and the steering box.the pitman arm is all the way to the right. last picture is of the shift linkage[not finished yet]stock 57 auto linkage modifyed to fit the 4r70w trans.the arm was cut off the 57 and welded to the cut off 4r70w one.see picture 3.must use truck trans to get shift arm on the outside of the shifter switch. 

lalessi1

Love the pics, its like stopping by and checking on your progress. I don't comment often but I look everyday, keep 'em coming! :003:
Lynn

RICH MUISE

Looking great. What are you doing for the exhaust pipe sections as far as bends, etc.?
I meant to ask last week...did you make any modifications to the dipstick? I forgot to make a physical measurement before I installed the oil pan, but I don't think it's hitting.

canadian_ranchero

i have a flowmaster exhaust kit from a 65/70 mustang and a box of leftover pipe from a other universal flowmaster kit.[all 2 1/2].i modified the dipstick tube by bending it toward the sump,put the bend between the block and pan.had to shorten the end of the dipstick a little so it would go through the bend.then checked the hight of the full mark and matched that to the pan.the oil level needs to be above the low oil level sender so there will be oil in the back part of the pan.that is why i put in a windage tray.i hope this helps you,rich.going to work on the right exhaust pipe today     

RICH MUISE

The question was mostly out of curiosity, and making sure I hadn't missed something. I went the easy route since I forgot to  measure anything when the pan was off. The easy way meaning I didn't do anything except check the oil capacity for the Continental version of the engine (I know the oil pans are smaller than the Mark viii's). I put that much in and the oil came to the full mark on the dipstick, so I called it good.

canadian_ranchero

update.got the right hand exhaust tacked in place.got looking at my pile of parts/junk[that is what the wife calls it] and found a drive shaft from a 67 cougar that will fit,2 inches longer than the mark VIII.would have taken pictures,but my camera's battery was dead   

RICH MUISE

Sounds just about perfect. That's also good for the fairlane guys to know (depending on where they set their engine)

canadian_ranchero

the fairlane is on the 118 inch wheel base.the wagon is on the small body[116 wb] that will add 2 inchs to the drive shaft length

RICH MUISE

Yes...exactly what I was saying. The two inches helps you with the forward placement of the engine. For Fairlane owners that move the engine back where mine is, that two inches may make the cougar driveshaft workable for them also.

canadian_ranchero

the drive shaft may be from a 69 ford full size and not a 67 cougar

canadian_ranchero

when i still had the exhaust in [removed to finish weld]i fitted the bracket for the e brake.this is a picture of the new placement.3 1/2 inch over and a little down.the cables clear the exhaust now.will post a assembled picture when i get it back togeather